How much is the average weight for a 4 year old boy?

I have a friend that has a son dr's say he is fine. My 4 year old is 30 something inches and 34 pounds. Her son is 38 inches I believe and he is 68 pounds. That is more than my 7 year old who only weighs 43 pounds. Is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Apr. 28, 2012 in Kids' Health

• You can Google growth charts for children but I would be careful about assigning "normal" vs "abnormal" labels. Every child is different and much is related to the genetic material passed down by the parents
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 10:39 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• When genetics is involved u can't assume anything is "normal"...my daughter is 3 1/2 and 40 lbs...3 1/2 feet tall...a big girl but healthy and proportionate...she is not overweight. A friend of our has a daughter who is very petite but the same age as my daughter...their son however is overweight...in an unhealthy way. I would just go by what his percentages are a the doc and make sure it's proportionate and healthy :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:42 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• Your friend's child is well off the charts. That might not be a problem however, depending on the genetics at play. My son was also off the charts but his father is off the charts too!

Answer by gdiamante at 10:52 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• If you look on a growth chart for boys a 4 year old should be between 27 and 45 pounds. 27 pounds is at the low end of the curve and obviously 45 pounds is at the high end of the growth curve. Your son is fine.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:59 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• at 4 yrs my son was around 32 pounds give or take. they're generally going thru a period of height only at that point. my daughter was similar weight at 4, she's 5 now and 48 pds
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:29 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• My 7 year old weight 65 lbs, and is pretty tall for his age, he has grown almost a foot in a year, but that being said he still got a note from his wellness clinic at school saying he was overweight. I took him to the doctor and she laughed and said look at the muscles on this kid, he is bult like a bear, does her child look overweight? Just like adults some kids have bigger frames whil others have large ones.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I just measured my son and he is 50 inches tall, so I would say her child would probably be on the heavy side being that he is 15 inches shorter and weighs the same as my son who is considered (fat).
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• he is also in a size 7 clothes
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• Are you sure he weighs that much then? My son is in size 10 and couldn't even beging to get size 7 to fit,, IDK does he look fat?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2012