what makes the majority of mothers so paranoid?

kids fall, scrape knees and get colds.... we all know that right? apparently a huge amount of mothers didn't get that memo and while we're out at the playground and one of my sons trip while running, i get like 5 moms GASPING and running over to them, while they've already gotten up and started running again. i've even had another mother grab my sons arm to pull him up and he just looked at her like "what is this woman doing to me???"
so really, the question is: what are all the paranoid moms so afraid of? was there a memo linking scraped knees to cancer or something? or is it really just feeling out of control and not being able to get over the fact that babies very quickly become children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i agree with you. my son is a typicla boy, rides his trycycle fast around corners and falls over and bangs his knee and scrapes his hand. i clean his hand off and he is back to his bike going faster than last time. I make sure the cuts arent bad enought to need stitches or that they are very hurt but i dont act like he has just lost a limb or something.
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 8:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Oh, my gosh, I so agree with you. My two year old is a rough and tumble boy. He falls down and just gets up and keeps going. If he even looks like he is going to stumble or anything and our neighbor sees him she freaks out. I figure if he is really hurt he will let me know. If he isn't crying or gushing blood and it isn't stopping I am not going to make the world stop to make sure there isn't a problem.
    Anonymous

• i have much experience with kids from being a preschool teacher and i've found while raising my boys that that experience has helped me be more relaxed as a mother. i'm not so worried about the what ifs because i know that kids are kids and that they're going to develope at different rates and only do what you think they can do. they are super sensitive to their mothers and if their mothers are scared and want to shelter them, they are going to be scared and want to be sheltered.
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 8:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• lol I encourage my kids to walk it off. I tell the kids to stand up. If they're limping or bleeding I'll obviously take care of them. I also made a point of not gasping infront of my kids when they would fall. Why encourage them to be dramatic?
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• gasping is the worst thing you can do.
    a good part of a kid's pain and fear of being hurt is psychological, and getting dramatic about a fall makes the fear and anxiety worse.
    my son (2 years old) skateboards, rides a bike with no training wheels, swims, does flips - everything. (brag brag brag! haha) anyways - moms are always shocked that he is able to do all of these things, but its only because we let him, and teach him HOW to fall.. not to avoid falling all together.

my son spends 60% of his day on the ground or picking himself up from a fall.

i say good for him and good for me.
    (i would do the same for a girl, by the way)
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 1:13 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i agree i had to teach my dh that kids get hurt he use to follow them around at the playground " they might get hurt" yeah there kids how will they learn to deal or not do that again if your there catching them. and when they fall dont jump. ( moms know what falls hurt and dont ) and i agree dont gasp that makes it worse. i always say ohhhh you fell down. and i know there fine. now my osd will hurt herself just looking at a flower and her mom jumps and will run to e.r me i know shes fine and will ask her u bleeding? can you move it? i promise u will live. 10 mins later shes fine and running. but when bm shows up OHH GOD IM DYING MY ARM!! back to the e.r and the doc will say shes fine just like i said. dh thinks im the smartest women alive. lol because i know and dont jump. so he will tell bm stop maken her a hyprocondract. lol.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I am not paranoid about my own kids, but I find myself worrying more when my kids are playing together in a group of kids. Sometimes when you get 10 kids together you start foreseeing accidents before they happen because everyone's sooooo excited and sometimes parents don't watch their own kids ...... It puts me a little on edge and then I worry my son will accidently hurt someone. I know how i'd react if my son got hurt BUT I don't know how other parents will react if it's their kid who's hurt....that can be uncomfortable.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 9:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Ever since my son started walking and falling I told my husband that we should clap and say YAY when he falls down, like he just did a wonderful trick! My son would laugh, get up and clap with us! But at grandma's if he fell down OMG grandma would gasp and run to him and pick him up so then he would cry like he he just lost a limb! I would say "mom, please, don't gasp when he falls, if he is really hurt he will let us know, trust me!" But my son is 4 and a half now and she still gasps when he falls and he still cries when he's with her. He has her wrapped around his little finger!!
    OldElPaso

Answer by OldElPaso at 10:32 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• LOL! I'm a big fan of letting my son figure it out himself - if he falls and gets hurt, no big deal. But I remember one time I took him to the zoo and he was getting tired and cranky. He wanted to push his stroller, so I said fine. The second he took it from me, he fell backwards right onto his head and the stroller landed right on top of him; however, he was wearing his batting helmet (we were also playing ball at the park), so he didn't even get hurt. The parents around me were shocked because I didn't stoop down and pick him up or comfort him at all. The muttering began and I just looked at the nearest mutterer and said, "What? He's wearing a helmet." My son cried out of shock, but not pain. He got up and our lives moved on. Any other time my son falls, I let him decide if it hurts and if he wants comfort - I wait for him to let me know how bad it is.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Who knows....some are just overly protective but some might have legitimate reasons. I can be a little paranoid with my daughter. She once fell near our fireplace and got a scrape by her nose. It didn't need stitches but it didn’t heal well and left a scar. I took her to a dermatologist who said there was nothing we could do to make the scar go away and trying might make it worse. It is small but noticeable. He said that she scars very easily. So, I do get a little panicky when she falls but I try not to show it. I think she is absolutely beautiful and always will (no matter how many scars). I never talk about it to her because it doesn't bother her right now and I hope it never does. It shouldn't.. but when girls reach puberty they can be so self conscious. I just want to protect her self esteem as well as her physical body. You are right though. Kids need to be kids and that comes with scraped knees and bumps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jan. 27, 2009