Having different beliefs from your family.

Has having different belifs than your family ever caused a strain on your relationship with them? My aunt is very overbaring. It has come to the point where I want nothing to do with her. Which is very sad because for a while she took care of me and she's more than an aunt to me. She pushed me to far this past week and I'm not sure there's any going back from what she said.

I can be civil with her but I have no respect or care to fix this relationship.

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 11:12 AM on Apr. 28, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, not really. Basically the only ones that are most important to me are my immediately family... mom, dad, brothers, daughters, husband, and granddaughters... the rest... who cares.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:21 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I have different beliefs than my mother. So does my sister. I have learned that there are certain discussions I can have and can not have. If she starts on a certain topic, I say. We will just have to agree to disagree. If the topic persists, I say. I love you, but I need to leave now before we both say something we will both regret. Than I leave. If we are somewhere I can't leave, I just say "ok, I see why you think that" and leave it at that and seem disinterested.

I accept people for who they are. I understand that not everyone will have the same beliefs and I practice tolerance. Yes, it is painful sometimes, but that is what practicing tolerance is about.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• only causes strain when certain subjects come up...i try to avoid certain subjects, but when they come along in my presence, and i'm involved in the conversation, i'll speak my mind and be done with it. i'm not going to try to change their stance on something..they are free to be as wrong as they like.
    :)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:31 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I'm sorry to hear that, your aunt is in the wrong to try to persuade you to believe what she does. You may just have to love her from a distance?
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• My family is Catholic and I am Christian (Pentecostal) when I first changed churches my family did not like it. My father would argue with me every time I went to go to church (I was about 14) I did not get to have the church serves for my sweet 15 because I would not have it in the catholic church because it was not me religion and my parents refused to come to my church. some family members did not come to my children's christenings. My parents treated it as if it was not that important. when my sister did my nieces of course in a catholic church everyone in the family came they had a huge party gave her gifts etc I can go on and on about the crap but I just let it go at this point
    Blessed_mom1102

Answer by Blessed_mom1102 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• Then minimizing contact is best. I have certain family members that ate a huge pain in my asshole, so it feels justified to contact thrm less.
    onelove1982

Answer by onelove1982 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• *are
    onelove1982

• yes- it got better for awhile then my mom re-married (after my dad died) and it got BAD again- that guy is relentless and the first time I actually met him he went on and on and on aobut God and how I couldn't possibly have morals without going to church and having them told to me and such. It was so bad that I told her I would not discuss it with them anymore and he needed to STOP.

Her whole side of the family is pretty hardcore with it and mostly- I try to avoid it as much as possible with them.

I would say that it is a big part of why we don't really talk much-although there are other reasons as well
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:49 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• Excuse the typos...again ;)

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:52 AM on Apr. 28, 2012

• We know that we are all able to have our own set of beliefs.
    If it had created tension/stress I would keep my distance from them.
    Just refuse to engage in those kinds of conversation.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:57 AM on Apr. 28, 2012