What are you thoughts on this?

I ran across this on FB ... I disagree with it but thought it might make for a good discussion. 

Definitions: 

1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions

(1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2): complete trust

: something that is believed especially with strong conviction;especially : a system of religious beliefs <the Protestantfaith>

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 12:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Disagree and faith can be applied to many things and not just for religious purposes.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• With faith though there is a reasonoing for absaloute of everything! it's those who don't have the power of faith in them that are blinded by the truth of what they are missing out because they can't see! Like Angels? Like the demons? Like the Ghosts and just like the show ghost hunters they aren't good spirits and they want to bring us down with them, stomp on us.

.if you could completely see, you wouldn't need faith.
    *****************************************************************************************
    Ok let me see if I got this straight. I am blinded by the truth b/c I can't see b/c I don't have faith?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• disagree. i have faith in my DH....and it is not b/c I am gulliable, blind, or dishonest.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• Sounds like a very bitter person wrote this. I disagree, and I'm not religious.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I would differentiate between "blind faith" and faith based on a trust that's been built up.  I can't know for certain how my husband might behave in every situation, but I have faith that he will act in the best interest of our family.  For that, I'd have to disagree with the statements.  I wouldn't, however, have faith in something or someone for which I have no real knowledge or reason to expect certain behaviors, or in things I doubt exist. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I would have to seriously ask them if that means, when their boss says, "I have faith in you that you'll get this done on time" they throw a tantrum?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• Faith is love, abundant life, hope, caring, happiness, staying strong, feeling the power, being up lifted in spirit, it's spirit! It's The son, father and Holy ghost! It's a lot of good things! None is negative!

To say wow I have some faith today it's going to be nice out! Is that being rude? or gullible? Or dishonest? To say I have faith in you! You can do it! Don't give up on your dreams in life? To those who doubt them self like a family member or one of our children?
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 2:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• disagree. i have faith in my husband, my parents, my children (to an extent), etc. even when strictly seen in a religious way most ppl with faith are none of those things.

id hate to meet the person who feels that all faith is the way worded above.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• Depends on the context but as it is I would say Disagree.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I don't think faith in itself is dishonest or gullible or lacking in reason. There are *people* who would fit that, but that brings up the argument whether faith itself is a cause of said traits or if it is merely another aspect of a whole (individual). This would require categorizing the various examples we could find : those who are faithful and reasonable (ect), those who are not "of" faith and unreasonable, those who are faithful and fit the description, etc, etc. I think an honest look at the numbers of how many people fit into what category would show that the issue is not faith itself, but perhaps a personality type or a level of intelligence/ability of comprehension, etc. The very fact that we see examples every day of people who are faithful who are wise and compassionate and apply logic in their understandings, etc, proves, IMO, that faith is not the factor that leads to dishonesty, gullibility, and the rest.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 28, 2012