Can I go to Cuba?

My fiance was born in Havana Cuba in 1979. He came to America with his parents in 1983. HE'S A LEGAL CITIZEN OF THE US [just putting it out there]. I know he visits family once every 3 years in Cuba, but we're expecting a baby and I'd love to meet my fiance's family and show them our child since they are not aloud to leave Cuba under law to come to the US.

I was born in Secaucus, New jersey...born and raised all [AWL] american. Irish Scottish and adopted by italians lol.

Am i legaly aloud to travel to Cuba when I'm married to a Cuban?

I know it's illegal for US citizens to spend money IN cuba. but can we actually go visit if we're not blood related to anyone?

I been googling and Im just so confused

Jersey_class

Asked by Jersey_class at 12:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2012 in Travel

• So, it looks like you can go under a general license:

Persons visiting a close relative (any individual related to a person by blood, marriage, or adoption who is no more than three generations removed from that person or from a common ancestor with that person) who is a national of Cuba, and persons traveling with them who share a common dwelling as a family with them. There is no limit on the duration or frequency of such travel. (According to the Cuban Assets Control Regulations, third country nationals who reside in Cuba are considered Cuban nationals.)
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 12:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• You need to go to Mexico first, my husband and I took a day trip to Cuba from Cancun, you can't fly to Cuba (or take a boat) from the US>
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• Yeah but I'm looing for the LEGAL way to do it lol
    Jersey_class

Comment by Jersey_class (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• *looking
    Jersey_class

• allowed
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• It is legal for you to do it,, you could also go to Canada,, Americans can visit Cuba, but BECAUSE of restrictions, there are no US carriers that will take you directly from the US to Cuba, it isn't against the law for you to go, via Canada or Mexico.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• How does he go every 3 years to visit? I assume he has to go to Mexico or Canada.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• Also, the website (clicky) mentions that you'll need non-American insurance which you can purchase in Cuba

BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 12:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• google is your friend

I found this information.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I wish I knew. Please tell me when you find out!
    onelove1982

Answer by onelove1982 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2012