Do you or would you pay your child for good grades?

I have mixed feelings about this. I expect my child to get straight A's which she almost always has. Because of this I limit the amount of chores she has to do. While I don't pay her for grades if there is something special she wants or wants to do I usually say, "we"ll see if your grades are okay" so in a way I guess I do except I have always thought of it as reward.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 1:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• I sure do. Their job as children is to go to school and do a good job. If they are doing their job, they should be paid.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:07 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• I do not and will not.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• If you count hugs & kisses & the "I'm so proud of you" as payment, then yes! :) Although, my mom does give them money if they get all A's. But that's Gma's job to spoil them! lol :p They would do it anyway, b/c they are intrinsically motivated to do well.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• Never did. Kids should want to get good grades. I never bribed my kids to do anything.

Answer by louise2 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• no
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• Nope, it is expected for him to keep his grades up. I won't pay him to do what he should be doing anyway.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• My kids get paid if they make honor roll. But my ds aw ts to make honor roll because he knows if his grades slip he won't get into med school.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 2:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• We don't pay allowance - in the real world, you don't get paid just for existing.
    We don't pay for chores - no one pays me for doing laundry, etc.; I certainly would not pay child to do so
    In the real world, people have jobs, and they get paid for doing them; if the job performance is superior, they may even get a bonus. We do pay for grades, with a bonus for raising a grade, a penalty for having a grade drop, and bonuses for straight As and the Honor Roll

Answer by rkoloms at 7:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• No way. Bribery is stupid IMO.
    onelove1982

Answer by onelove1982 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I do as an incentive. At 10, my DS really doesn't understand the importance of good grades beyond his current school year. I'm not normally one to bribe, but I was raised with getting paid for As and it helps a kid care about grades in the middle of a quarter when they're not interested in doing their homework.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2012