$100,000 to redecorate the White House?

In these hard economic times, do you still feel that Barack and Michelle should still get $100,000 to redecorate the White House private living quarters? Keep in mind that they have access to a warehouse FULL of furniture and things that have been kept since the Kennedy administration!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If you had 100,000 to spend on decorating, you wouldn't do it? would you honestly give it up to charity etc? now be honest!! I'm not gonna lie, give me 100,00 for decorating and hell i'm all for it. Maybe that makes me selfish, but i work damn hard for what I got and i'm not giving it up. So have they and if they get a little luxury for an incredibly stressful demanding job then good, they deserve it.
    Anonymous

• Now, just think if you are gonna be living somewhere for at least 4 years wouldn't YOU wanna decorate your home of four years in time they way YOU want it? However, I'm not really agreeing to the whole ONE HUNDRED THOUSANDS DOLLARS part, that's a bit extreme!! That's CRAZY! They could just get the furniture from their old place and just add on to those I think. I really don't think they need THAT much to just redecorate. =/
    Anonymous

• That amount is a drop in the bucket. Yes, for serving our country and moving the family to Washington, D.C., I think they should be given an allowance to make the White House their home.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I think he should set the bar for CHANGE. Go vintage. ok, slap a new coat of paint on, but I'm sure he and Michelle could work with Smith (their newly hired designer) and dig up some oldie, but goodie furnishings. or they should bring it in from their Chicago home. besides, relocating to a new job, typically means you bring your furnishings with you, right?

yes, I think donating the money would be a HUGE step forward in this selfish world.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 8:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• 100,000?!? seems waaaayyyy much. paint, new beds, some new chairs, a couple couches...just doesn't add up. why hire such an expensive designer?
    Anonymous

• That is not alot for DC, Michelle is sure to find alot at Target for a hundred grand, she loves Target. I wonder how the staffers that just got their raises froze will enjoy dusting and cleaning those new belongings. Brings a whole new definition to the term "spit shine".
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Yes but all that money is going to stores and workers in the D.C.area and so it's going to stimulate the economy. Isn't that what you all said about the most costly inauguration of all time? Keep on forking over your taxes, the CHANGE you wanted is starting to happen, now enjoy it.
    Anonymous

• lol akin. good point.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 8:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Yes they have a $100K budget but that doesn't mean they have to use it all and I would hope they don't.

As for the frozen raises, that is only for those making $100K a year or more. I doubt the individuals on the cleaning crew are each making $100K.
    Anonymous

• No, the money is going in the pocket of Michael S. Smith, CA decorator to the stars!
    Anonymous