Packing lunches and foods on the go?

I have to pack a lunch every once in a while for my 3 year old when we go to playgroups and such. A lot of places we go don't have a microwave. I usually pack a sandwhich, snack, and drink. My question is what is the best way to cover the food groups for a lunch when you can't refigerate or warm anything up? I feel like a lot of the time she doesn't have a nutritious lunch and the looks I get...lol.

Thanks!

CSJMommy3

Asked by CSJMommy3 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Thermos!!!!

I pack for my son everyday. I put things in a thermos. Also, you can get an ice pack as well.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• They make lunch packs that keep foods cold. Things that I would pack for DD would be something like a PB and banana sandwich (that way she gets protein and fruit), an apple, some carrot sticks, and either a milk or water. Maybe some whole wheat crackers too, and a few cheese sticks for a snack.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• if you get an insulated lunch box, you can pack basically anything the possibilities are truly endless, you can do

fruit kabobs

peanut butter power balls
    -1 cup peanut butter
    1/2 cup non-fat dry milk powder or soy protein powder
    1/2 cup raisins or chocolate chips
    1/4 cup honey
    Graham cracker crumbs

low-fat lunch meats, cheeses, grilled vegetables and chicken, tuna and egg salads (extra points for using less or low-fat mayonnaise). And try not-so basic breads like bagels, rolls, pitas and English muffins.

pasta salad made with fun-shaped, tri-colored pasta. Create a mini-pizza on a tortilla or pita. Roll meat and cheese slices in a tortilla and slice into pinwheels.

Baby carrots, celery sticks, red and green pepper rings, zucchini wheels with ranch or plain
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 7:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• Thanks for the replies. Duh... I totally forgot about the cold packs. These are awesome ideas. Thanks!
    CSJMommy3

Comment by CSJMommy3 (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I have a long list of bagged lunch ideas that I have collected over the years; send me a message offlist if you would like a copy.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:20 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I recognize that they are not the 100% most nutritionally sound thing in the lunch box but you can freeze go-gurt and it will be thawed and cold by lunch. I also partially freeze juice boxes and water to supplement the cold packs so they are perfect in a few hours and keep the other stuff cool.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:04 PM on May. 1, 2012