Pregnate.. 18 week blood test positive high HCG levels

I just got my results from my blood test NST, i am 36 years old, and my first blood est came back negative, the nst ultrasound was negative, the last ultrasound was negative but my 2nd blood test positive high HCG... does this mean, the baby has down syndroms.. anyone experience this while pregnate? what was the outcome? my doctors wont be clear they said its part of being pregnate... i need some FEEDBACK please. baby  number first 3 are fine, and everything was fine, i was younger. 
Thank you advance

proudmomof4boys

Asked by proudmomof4boys at 8:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2012 in Pregnancy

• How high is high?
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 8:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• she didnt say, she said it came back high, and i just need to come in every 2 weeks until 34 weeks then weekly.
    proudmomof4boys

Comment by proudmomof4boys (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• Honestly, truly, don't worry about this. There is a lot of controversy over whether high hCG is even a reliable marker for Down's.

I'd be interested to see if you have only one little peanut in there when they do your next sono.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 8:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• High HCG level could also mean multiples, and the chance of multiples increases with age. Just something to think about.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• both of the utrasounds have shown only one baby, so we are sure its only one, so now im trying to prepare, what does this mean? doctors say they dont have an answer for it.
    proudmomof4boys

Comment by proudmomof4boys (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• It may not mean anything. That's what I'm trying to tell you. You're panicking and, honestly, I don't think it's a good use of your energy right now.

Wait a few weeks and see if it stabilizes.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 8:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• So, trying to ease your mind a little, there are three major areas that hCG is monitored:

1. Molar pregnancy
    2. Miscalculation of conception
    3. Multiples

How old are you?
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 8:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• IDK what the HCG levels mean- but...
    I was told @42 my child was at increased risk for Down Syndrome and or dwarfism due to: my age, short femur, excess amniotic fluid, space between toes, size of skull and dilated kidneys.
    He's active, alert and thriving.
    Yes, I did refuse amniotic test because there is still a chance for false positive and many cases of DS and dwarfism cannot be tested and 100% confirmed until as late as 6 months after birth.
    I would recommend enjoying the pregnancy as much as possible.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• PREGNANT.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 8:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2012