Why always the ER?

Why do mom's always insist on taking their children to the EMERGENCY ROOM for things that are NOT emergency's? I work in a hospital, and I have seen people in beds in the hallway that need attention, because a mom has her baby in there just because they have a slight fever.

If you can not wait to see their primary doctor, why not take your baby to an Urgent or Express Care, and leave the beds in the ER open for Emergency's?

Sorry, I know this is slightly a rant, but I really do want to know why everyone thinks that a slight temp warrants a visit to the ER.

CarolynBarnett

Asked by CarolynBarnett at 8:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• because people are natural worry worts and over reactors. I have taken my dd to the ER twice. Once she fell from a shopping cart and passed out in the car. The second time she was super sick (her first time being sick) and I felt it couldn't wait until the next day. She was screaming, had a fever, wouldn't eat, and had been like this a couple days already.

But, I don't take her unless I really need to (such as the instances mentioned above). I don't even like taking her to the doctor unless I need to.. it's a waste and backs up the er with cases of ear infections, or the common cold.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I hate it too and I don't even work in the medical field.
    Anonymous

• Because alot of mom's are not doctors and do not work in hospitals and don't know, with their child, what may or may not constitute an emergency, alot of mothers are still learning. Mothers want to be safe because they don't know and if it takes a couple trips to the ER to calm their nerves so they know everything is ok then so be it.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 8:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i think it depends. like my son if he gets a temp. and then he gets a cough i'll take him to the e.r because he has lung problems and we know that when he begins to huff and puff and what not, then i get worried and he's prone to pnemonia (SP) thats why. also new moms would rather be safe than sorry!!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• A lot of people don't have Urgent Care or Express Care. It's the hospital or you have to wait until Monday or the next morning.
    Anonymous

• Well, since your responding to my question, I asked about the ER because I just don't know what is dangerous for a baby. I don't work in a hospital and this is my first baby. That is why I asked others opinions on here to see what other parents suggest. I also didn't know if I bring him to a clinic, would they be able to have everything to test him or do whatever they need to do. I JUST DON'T KNOW AND I'M WORRIED. Does that answer your question.
    Anonymous

• and as far as the urgent care the one we have in my town doesnt takem y medical we only have one hospital in this city!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 8:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I have never taken my chuld to an ER but there are many times I almost did. I am a new mom and it's scary......you just dont know and you rather play it safe. I am sure with my next after I have been through illness after illness with this one I wont think twice about it. Like I said I havent yet, but there have been so many times I wanted to because as a new mom you just feel helpless at times. There are no clincs or urgent cares in my area.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 8:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I try not to take my kids to the ER when they're sick but sometimes I feel it's necessary.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Anon:
    This isn't in response to your question, but rather to the answers that send you in that direction. And honestly, it is a question I have been wanting to ask for a long time.

I understand the asking if you should go or not....I am a new mom too (my DD is 8 months old) so I really do understand. I just don't understand all the moms that answer automatically with "Go to the ER" when it really is not an emergency situation.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2009