Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you have an unassisted home birth, how do you get a birth certificate for that child?

I may have an unassisted home birth, i am looking into it. If i do this, how do i get a birth certificate for the baby?


Asked by SpiritedTigress at 8:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 6 (150 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • In BC I had to have two notarized documents from people who saw me during my pregnancy and afterwards with the baby..
    They had a list of other things they wanted, but were not mandatory.. (letter from the father; any "proof" of pregnancy, such as ultrasound or bloodwork; things like that, which I didn't bother to provide, and I had no problem obtaining my birth certificate)
    Contact your vital statistics office and ask for the unattended birth package for registering for a live birth. If they tell you they don't have one, ask them to order one. (This is the problem I had. My office looked at me stupidly, so I had to wait to get the package from the government)

    Answer by Liyoness at 10:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • are those legal? Not being a smartalek, i'm seriously asking, I thought that you had to have someone there?

    Answer by smnice at 8:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • yes they are legal.

    as for the birth certificate, call your local office of vital statistics. they will be able to tell you what to do. usually it's just proof of pregnancy, live birth, and you and your dh's birth certificates etc.. it's different depending on the state.

    Answer by celticreverie at 8:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • For the birth certificate, just call your state Dept. of Vital Statistics and ask how to register an unattended home birth. PLEASE join my group, Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth. There are alot of us UCers there!

    Answer by navy-wife at 8:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • No, you don't HAVE to have anyone there. It's your kid, your pregnancy, your choice. Sucks if something goes wrong though. I believe you would have to file for the birth certificate on your own, but I don't know exactly how. Try contacting your county's record's office.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • I'm planning a UC as well. I called the county and they told me I'd have to go to the county clerk for a packet which I plan to try to get before the birth.

    Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 27, 2009