How old do you start night time potty training? My dd turned 3 in September and is currently wearing pull ups at night and only really has accidents when she doesn't go potty before she goes to sleep. I just don't know how to start. Any suggestions would be helpful.

night time potty training. Completely potty trained otherwise

mom2averal

Asked by mom2averal at 8:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• try putting underwear on and then the pull ups over. That way she can feel herself get wet and it may train her to not go at night. just a suggestion, I'm not yet potty training but it was something I heard.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 8:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• you know when they are ready when they wake up with a dry pull up for one week. limit there drink intake 3 hours before bed.make sure they pee before bed.and let them know that if they feel the need to go during the night that they can either come get you or go.leave a night light on in the bathroom with a stool and potty seat.my 3 year old has been potty trained for 6 months now.she wears underware to bed and everything.YAY go me.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 10:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• If she only has an accident if she "doesn't want" to go potty...then don't let her have the option! We've always told the boys that "everyone goes potty before bed" so it's a normal part of their routine. When the youngest (BRAND newly trained) doesn't want to...we simply tell him that we all have to do things we don't always want, but potty before bed isn't an option.

You can also just let her go to bed without the pullup (with the mattress protected!!!) and see if she wakes when she gets wet.

My boys stopped peeing over night before we really started training, so I'm not even sure they would wake up if they did have to go! We help control it by limiting drinks to nothing after supper and peeing before they go to bed (and first thing when they wake in the morning)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:24 AM on Jan. 27, 2009