tax question.

if my SO's cousin lived with us most of the year, he's 20 now.. he didnt work or anything we supported him, he didnt go to school either can we claim him on our taxes??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• No, not unless he has a disability or something I believe. You can ask wherever you get your taxes done if you can, bit I highly doubt it.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Thank you. i will call them and ask them,.
    Anonymous

• only if he's disabled and you are legally responsible to take care of him (such as mentally handicapped cases)
    Anonymous

• You can't claim him, but you may be able to write it off. I just got asked this question when i went to file this weekend. "Have you supported anyone else other than the dependants listed during the year?"
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I don't think so, but to go IRS.gov and search for "qualifiying relative" and see if he meets the criteria. If you quys aren't required to file married, then one of you may be able to claim head of household. Again, search 'head of household' and see what the requirements are.
    Anonymous

• okat thing is were not married so they wont even let us file together.. so he usually claims our son because he works more during the yr. but i'll check out irs.gov
    Anonymous

• He does not meet the "relationship" test, nor the "member of the household" test. His age keeps him from being a "qualified child" as well.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:58 AM on Jan. 27, 2009