Christians...

What denomination are you?
Were you raised in that one, or is it something you came to later?

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 11:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised Catholic and am now a universalist. I am Christian, but believe that each should follow their own bliss and find their own truths.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I was raised a Catholic and remain one.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 1:33 AM on Apr. 29, 2012

• Denomination? Methodist

I was baptized into the Catholic faith when I was four, and then my mother remarried when I was 7 and we started going to my stepfather's "Church of God," but it wasn't a really good fit, so we ended up in a Methodist church as a compromise and ended up staying there. It's been... 13 or 14 years now? Something like that. I still keep membership there, even though I don't attend that often - mostly because we live so far away now.

I do realize, though, that some of my beliefs don't line up with Methodist teaching, but I still prefer the denomination to others we've been involved in or have visited. My husband's church, when we first got married, we left because it turned into hellfire preaching every week...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I honestly hadn't paid attention to what you said and wasn't trying to direct that at you at all, I promise. I didn't even realize that it might come across that way until after I posted the "not a denomination" thing, which I only did because I don't usually identify as a Methodist, since I call myself a Christian Universalist, and I just wanted to clarify before anyone asked. Then I realized that you said you were Universailst and I thought, uh-oh, they might think I'm trying to correct her or something, lol. I was just speaking to clarify my own identification, and certainly wasn't trying to imply that I was speaking in response to yours. And then the social anxiety kicked in where I over clarified my clarification... I need to stop now, haha, you get what I mean :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I ♥ you Bandgeek! I have learned so much about religious beliefs from you. You seriously are my favorite mom in the R&B sections.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• I wasn't really raised anything

I converted to Catholicism in my early 20's.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:05 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• i'm currently attending/member of a UMC.
    raised in a FWBC..married a new-Episcopalian that grew up in a Christian Church(Disciples of Christ).
    we screwed around alternating between our home churches..and finally decided on meeting in the middle with the UMC.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• Christian Universalism isn't a denomination (not in response to SB, just a general clarification). It's a qualifier, so to speak, like fundamentalism, if that makes sense ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• Sorry - SB if you took that the wrong way - I meant it because I call myself a Christian Universalist, and associate withe the Christian Universalist Association, which isn't a denomination, lol. Hope no one misunderstands. It's late, haha, sorry.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2012

• No worries. I didn't mean it as a denomination... just a way of thinking.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2012