Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how can i legally homeschool my 17yrs old daughter,(its not proven yet if she is downs sydrome or autistic) and still drive truck for a living with her on the truck?

with the way the economy is falling. i've held a commercail drvr license(CDL) for ten years. i've not been working because of the economy since june '08. my daughter is in 9th grade due to her father holding her back so many times. she'll be 20 before she graduates high school. I know thats not good. but i've tried voluntary boot camp enrollment,they turned her down because she isn't quick enough to follow the rest of the recruits. the job corp(for teens)is also voluntary enrollment. but again too far behind. can't get to a doctor to get her tested for either downs or austism. so who do i contact in the las vegas,nv. area to have her tested? and get a trucking job and have her with me. she cannot be left alone at home for more than one hour. she doesn't know how to take care of herself for longer than that. please help? thank you

Answer Question

Asked by lucille7 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • can you wait until she turns 18 then just have her quit and work on her GED/High School equivalence?

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • thank you for asking and replying so soon. but my daughter is going to be 17yrs old in march '09, thats why i put her as 17 now. but with the bills stacking and not enough income. waiting is getting to be really hard in pahrump,nv. when i've no transportation to goto las vegas for a job. i wish there were a simpler and more polite way to anwer your question,but just stating facts. not even my tax refund will get us out of the hole. most of it goes back to irs. still leaving me behind on bills like everyone else. thank you again.

    Answer by lucille7 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • You can check out the homeschool laws for Nevada at  There doesn't seem to be a lot of restrictions there for homeschooling.  There are many places to find boxed curriculum to ensure she is getting all the courses she needs.  If you want to pick and choose, you can do more of an eclectic approach and search out the curriculum based on what she would like to take.

    I haven't gotten up to that age yet with the two I homeschool, but I do have a 9th grader in public schools.


    Answer by soyfulliving at 10:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • Cant kids legally quit going to school at 16 anyway?

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

  • I don't know if every state is the same, but all I had to do was to fill out an "Intent to Homeschool" form at my local school's office. The students are required to be tested every year, like they do in public school, but nobody really monitors their
    There are a TON of great homeschool resources out there, and you can really make it fit your particular child and their abilitys. Good Luck...there is no reason why she cannot study on a truck instead of a kitchen table. You could even get books on tape, and other lessons to listen to. We used to have a fun CD with songs about geography =)

    Answer by christyg at 5:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

  • You don't have to prove anything to homeschool. Just tell the county school district you reside in that you want to homeschool her. They will enroll her in their records and they will tell you what they require from you as far as work and proof of testing, etc.

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

  • In Nevada you go to your school superindenants office and ask for a notice of intent to homeschool and fill it out. Keep a copy for yourself and file the original with them. No other paperwork is needed to start. I am unsure of testing requierments there though. Then find the curriculum you would like to use and get started. You might think of simply checking some books out at the library to start with so you can get a feel for what will work best for your daughter. The library probably has many books on how to homeschool as well, that will give you good ideas. If you wanted to leave her in school you could also write a letter to the school asking for an educational evaluation and they will look into testing her accademic ablilities. If you go the medical route I'd start with her regular doctor and ask them to refer you somewhere. Good luck.

    Answer by booklover74 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Teens (13-17)
Painting ideas for a teenage girl

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
7 weeks?