stem cell - question #2 - if you said you wouldnt use it for family/ kids

would you use it if you knew where it came from. i am due in April with my second child! i will have a planned c section because of complications during the first pregnancy. i will donate my cord blood to a public bank that is reputable and matches doners and those in need. would you refuse that treatment for your child, parent, LO??? i would do anything possible to save my child if they needed medical care. 3 months after my first son was born my grandma died of a hospital flu and could have been saved if i had saved that blood, and she had matched... it cost 2000 to bank it at first and then like 100 a month to save it, i dont have that money so i will donate it this time around rather than throwing it out... so my ?? again, wouold you refuse that treatment?? and if so why?? i dont get it!

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 9:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think you are a most generous and concerned mother and fellow citizen. I am fully supportive of stem cell research, maybe a little selfishly, as my youngest grandson has Hemophilia... He is missing one gene...the gene that clots blood. I hope upon hope that soon they will find at least half a cure for his blood disorder..for gene therapy. Right now he is infused twice a week thru a port in his chest. Gene therapy would be so much better and the gene to replace what he is missing..would be a miracle! He just turned 9 yrs old this month.
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 11:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My daughter saved her first child's cord and I believe her second child's. It did cost a lot in the beginning, but God forbid one of them becomes seriously ill later on in life? Their stem cells are there for them. I would GIVE my life for one of my children. I would do the same for one of my grandchildren also. I would never allow them to suffer. Donating it is also a wonderful thing to do and I commend you for that.
    muthamayi

Answer by muthamayi at 9:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Cord bloom I would accept.
    Tajcc

Answer by Tajcc at 10:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I banked both of my kids cord blood. Never know what will happen tomorrow. If I wouldnt of and someone donated it, and my child matched I sure would accept it. To save his or her life.
    lucandpepsmom

Answer by lucandpepsmom at 10:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i see no problem with it because the child will live to have his own children, but you are taking stem cells from something that gets the chance at life. what i mean is they take it from the baby's cord so they are not harming anyone and i think that is why people get up set because a lot of people think that killing a baby weather it is a baby or not is wrong. that is where you get the controversy.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 10:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i wanted to bank our cord blood, but the cost kept me from doing so. there are certain aspects of stem cell i do not agree with. the idea of using them? i agree with. some of the places it comes from? thats where i personally have problems.
    that being said, i think its kind of weird for someone to not want to use cord blood.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 11:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2009