Alzheimers?

How quickly does it usually progress? (Or digress, I guess would be more accurate.)
My grandmother has it. She was diagnosed last year, she just gets confused a lot and can't drive anymore. Well, my pawpaw died in September. She didn't take it well. At first she knew he was dead but was just always confused on how long he had been gone. At Christmas she was SAD, very sad, but still only confused. She still knew who we were and missed Pawpaw but that was it. Now, only a month later, she is hallucinating that she sees him crying for her help...she had to be taken to a Psych Ward and 2 of my aunts (her daughters) drove her there... she later kept saying that "Two ladies came and kidnapped me and brought me here"
It just seems like it declined QUICKLY since Christmas.... I didn't know it would get this bad this quick.
Is it usually such a QUICK decline??
I thought we had more time...

MamaCatCat

Asked by MamaCatCat at 9:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Health

• It can be. My grandmother had it for a couple of years and was "ok"

My mother was her caregiver. But since Christmas she has taken a HUGE downward turn and started waking up every 30 minutes during the night and peeing on herself, even through depends and being "lost"

Right now they are finishing up the paperwork to have her place in a nursing home. I am sad, she is not the grandmother I know and love anymore.

It is a TERRIBLE disease! I wish they could find a cure or something that could really help them!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I ment to type this.....I think all alzheimers patients take totally different roads. Some are quick roads some are slow ones. Some patients get mean or ugly, some become more childlike, some are like yours have hallucinations ect.....it can be a huge range of different things....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• That does seem quck, but I guess the illness progresses differently for different people. My aunt in her 11th year and pretty much doesn't know what is going on. She still recognizes her husband. She is in a nursing home and is happier and doing better there than when she was home. Is your grandmother taking meds? I wonder if she is having a meds problem that is causing what seems to be a rapid progression. Has she been evaluated by a doctor since this change?

Answer by Bmat at 9:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• it can and very sad when they are gone and upset. I work w/ the ederly and some are gone but very happy.
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 9:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2009