They wouldnt change it!!!

So I called my Dr this morning because he gave me med for ppd friday but when I went online to check to make sure it was ok to take while breastfeeding and it wasnt so i call to ask them to change it to one of the 2 that are a LOW TRANSFER RISK and they wouldnt change it. They told me every medicine for it has a risk. I was so mad. They wouldnt even listen to me. What do I do? I need to take it I am really upset and am having problems with this I was really hoping to get a new one today.

edgpag

Asked by edgpag at 9:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hmm what med is it that they gave you? Did you call your OB and they wouldnt change it? If so could you try your family doc and see if they will see you and get you a script? My doc said Celexa and Zoloft were ok. I am starting to think that every doc has a different opinion on whats best for ppd when breastfeeding.....
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 9:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• This might sound bad but I dont have a regular Dr. I have not been to a dr in over 4yrs unless I was pregnant and that is only for a ob. I did call the ob and that is what they said. they told me to call her dr and tell them and ask them if it was ok for me to still BF like I was just suppose to stop if it wasnt . So I have not taken the meds and I wont I wont take the risk.I have celexa and this is what it says about it.
    Celexa has a 4.3-16 nanogram/kg blood plasma level, but transfer rate is higher via milk. Use with caution and watch infant for side effects
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 9:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Ahhh how old n your little one? Do you really beleive that it is PPD and not just the baby blues? I am only asking because I totally thought I was PPD and it turned out to be a bad case of baby blues that lasted about 3 weeks or so. It sounds like you really want to breastfeed and they are just blowing you off which is weird. I think your choices are this: Bottle feed and start taking the meds so you can feel better. Or you could make an appt with a regular doc say your a new patient, fill out the forms when you go and then just tell them whats up and they will probably prescribe something different. OR, you could call the pediatrician and ask them if taking celexa is ok for breast feeding. They will know. If they say no then just explain the situation and see if there is something they can do. The babies health is their concearn so they should want to make sure you are feeling well.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 9:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I agree with the first poster about calling your babies ped. Alot of OB's don't know much about breastfeeding (like peds or lactation consultants).
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• If my doc didn't listen to me on this, I'd find a new doc. JMO
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Yes it is ppd. I have had problems with depression in the past. I was a cutter and I have been having bad thoughs about doing it again. My baby is 3wks old but I have another daughter that has just turned 1. And I had it REALLY bad with my son. I just hope it dont get that bad cause I end up in the hospital in the ICU for 3days for a drug overdose. The docs fault not mine they had me on 11 different meds at onces. and they didnt mix well with each other.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 9:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Call your local WIC office and ask if they can get you in touch with a lactation consultant. They will know better than anyone what you can take that is safe. Your ob doesn't always know best. You will be surprised what you can take that is safe while bf. GL.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• ok then yes PPD. You need to take action right away. Honestly call the ped tomorrow and talk to them. They will help you, its for the better of the baby. The fact that your OB is doing this knowing your history just really erks me. Good luck, I really hope some one gets you what you need.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 10:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Thanks...
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 10:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2009