Does anyone's child have eczema?

I think my 3 yr old might she kept telling me she was itchy and I lotioned her now she has a big red patch of dry skin on the back of her hand. My little cousins had it when they were younger and I've tried all types of lotions and ointments but nothing works. I'm gunna call the Dr. 2mmorrow to see what he says but I need to help her itching until then.

emtmommyamanda

Asked by emtmommyamanda at 9:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When tryin different lotions finding the right fit for your lil one make sure to avoid any that contain fragrances. I've used eucerin(sp?) aquapher, baby lotion, aveeno, and baby eczema cream. The baby eczema cream works best for us. Its very thick, and can be purchased at Walmart the same for all the others that i listed. Minus Aveeno i'm not sure if they have that at walmart i picked that up at the local grocery store.
    o0gone0o

Answer by o0gone0o at 9:28 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My son has eczema and has had it since he was two months old. We have to use non-soap cleansers on his skin and hair and use Eucerine lotion on his body. Sometime he gets really bad patches and the doctor gives me a steroid-based lotion for the very bad patches. Finding something that works is an uphill battle. I wish you luck with it.
    meadowbee

Answer by meadowbee at 9:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i use hydrocortisone on my son then lotion him down with Eucerine. It works pretty well. Unfortunately eczema is one of those things that is different for everyone. What works for one will make another worse. Good luck!
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• my little guy has severe eczema... aquaphor is the best moisturizer i've found for it. a lot of docs will tell you to use hydorcortizone on the bad patches, but we avoid that as much as possible (and we have a script for hydrocortisone 2.5%) topical steriods are not good for long term use on the skin. we also use a hazelwood necklace on him... it works wonders (www.hazelaid.com)
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Growing up my sister had it bad an after lots of dr. visists one recomended washing it in Selsun Blue, putting it directly on it .
    ssspw-world

Answer by ssspw-world at 9:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• my two month old has it..use aquaphor..works great!!!
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 10:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• the itching, my sis says use antifungal foot spray, it totally helps the burning itch!!
    ssspw-world

Answer by ssspw-world at 11:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• We use Eucerin also, the really thick creamy stuff. Put it on right after the bath to lock in the moisture. Also there is itch relief lotions out there with oatmeal, they also work well.
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• cetaphil works great!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:41 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Well I'm going to go a different direction with this....our dr. said to make sure we keep the areas totally dry and free of any wetness. She has really bad spots behind her knees, her elbows and her legs. We use the steriod cream when they start to get itchy and spread, it contains the spreading and they go away quickly. We also use zyrtec....one dose of that and the next no more spotches!
    Anonymous