Prom dress codes

what's your opinion?

is your local HS doing it?

I've been reading about some HS principals wanting to see the dresses in advance, written agreements, etc. !

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 10:35 AM on Apr. 29, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't know about our high school, but the one that my sister in laws are attending could sure use one. I drop them off at a formal dance last year and saw 14 year old girls wearing dresses that barely covered all the important parts. The one rule they had was no bare shoulders, but I saw many teens wearing dresses where their boobs were barely covered and they skirts so short they couldn't
    bend over without exposing something. It makes me wonder what some parents think is appropriate clothing for a teenage girl.

I don't know that the principal needs to see the dress in advance, but a dress code for boys and girls should be implemented and enforced by the chaperones. If a child is dressed inappropriately then they should be sent home.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 29, 2012

• They don't do it at the one I work in but they should.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2012

• I thinkit's absolutely fine! Wih how hootchie the dresses are becoming, I would get them approved. 14-17 year olds should not be revealing everything. They need to learn how to respect themselves more by covering up more. You should see the giddips that some girls wear now! It's disgusting!
    onelove1982

Answer by onelove1982 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2012

• if high school girls didn't dress and act like whores then they wouldn't have to make a dress code!
    Anonymous

• "if high school girls didn't dress and act like whores then they wouldn't have to make a dress code!"

That's silly
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 12:39 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• Again, this all boils down (eventually) to parenting, or the lack thereof.

Yes, there should be an enforced dress code but, no, I don't agree with the school having to "approve" your dress. If you enforce the dress code you simply send home the students who are not following it.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 12:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• Yes there should be a dress code, they are children - this is still a school event . Geez some of those dresses are so slutty
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• My high school sure didnt do it. I swear half those girls look like they belonged on a street corner
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• Generally if it's not allowed during a school day, it is not allowed for the prom. Bare bellies, super short skirts, etc.
    Our prom was last night, we have a "Grand March" before, and there were only one or 2 dresses that made me think "future stripper". Everyone else looked classy.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:30 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• I think our school "had" a dress code, but it was only enforced if you weren't one of the "special" kids (meaning someone who kissed a lot of teacher/principal ass, or was a child of a teacher, or a football player, cheerleader, other sports person, etc.) and OMG some of the things they got away with... There's actually a picture in the yearbook from DH's senior year where the girls were lined up with their dresses pulled up to their hips showing off their garter belts that were so high up their thighs they could have been attached to their underwear with a keyring. Not to mention the dresses that had cutouts all over, "neck"lines that were down to the waist, etc. I think showing some skin at a Jr/Sr prom is ok, but keep it decent at least! No tops that are so barely there that if you move much you're going to flash everyone, no skirts so short you can hardly move, etc.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2012