Fever still but how high for teething?

My 7.5 year old has had a rectal temp of about 102 ( which is really 101) for 2 days with no other signes besides being fussy. I am chalking it up to teething but when I called the ped they said that temp was too high for teething and didnt really seem to care. My question is did your children get temps while teething and if so were they really low? I am just trying to figure out why he has this random fever for no reason.

Scoobersmom

Asked by Scoobersmom at 9:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am currently wondering the same thing. I have also been told that babies can run a fever while teething (but noone told me how high. My son also did the same thing, but his spiked to 104 at one point (we controlled it with Tylenol and Motrin). He also had no other signs/symptoms of illness. some people also told me their babies had diarrhea as well??!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Every single time my DS is teething real bad he gets the worst fever and it is about 101 maybe a little higher at times. The doc said it ISN'T because of teething, but it is every single time he gets a tooth, so, I think the doctor is wrong. Because he isn't sick besides a fever.
    Anonymous

• 102 temp is an actual temp... can't be more accurate than a rectal temp.
    102-104 are most likely not related to teething... although some kids do strange things!
    I would keep an eye on the temp.... it could be a virus or an infection. Sometimes things like urinary tract infection go unnoticed for several days and the only symptom until it gets worse is fever.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2009