Have You Ever?!?!

Have you ever had to loan money to your parents?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• I give them money. I don't loan them any, though. They raised me...I have no problem paying their bills when times are tough for them. I WILL not let them pay me back...the money I give them is NEVER a loan.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 9:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Nope. They make about 6 times more than my family. They've loaned us money though!
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 9:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I would and have never ever loaned money to my mother. I have though given her money. I hope you are not suggesting that you are willing to loan your parents money instead of giving it to them?
    Anonymous

• I have given my mom money when she needs it. She is on disablility and times are tough, so I try to buy things that she needs when I know she might need them, etc. She would never ask me for money unless she really needed it, in which case I would give it to her, not loan it.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 11:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Who cares if she has to loan money to her parents, some families can't afford to just give money away, even if it is for their parents!!! At least she is trying to help as much as she can!!! To the OP, I have given money to my parents, but if you have to loan money to them that's fine; not everyone can just give money away :)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I remember growing up my parents usually had to "borrow" money that my sisters and I got for Christmas and birthdays. I'm sure some people would think it's awful for parents to take their kids' money like that, but you gotta do what you gotta do. They struggled quite a bit to raise three kids. Luckily, since then their financial situation has improved a lot and they have no need to ask us for money now. I would in a heartbeat if I had it and they needed it though. And forget all about them paying it back if I could live without the money. Lord knows they've put out enough money for me through the years =)
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 1:33 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• A little here and there,we both help each other out. I don't mind;what is mine is hers...what is hers is mine. My mom is a single mom
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 1:42 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I have sent my parents money for years..... they didn't have some of the opportunities I've had in life. Now on the other hand, I have two grown sons who lived with me..... at one time the economy went bust, I lost my job, my DH got his pay and hours cut to minimal .... so we told the kids; okay from now until this all gets better it's one household - three incomes. You can pitch in or you can move out. (Not that we wanted the to move out - but we were in no financial shape to bear the burden of paying while they were playing)..... they stepped up, I found a small job, we joined all our income into one pool and make sure the whole family was taken care of.. It made us closer, and no I don't feel one bit bad about that.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:48 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• There has been times when my mom was working from 5 in the morning until 11 in the night, in snow, cold, rain, sunshine - just to give me and my brother an education and a better life! She would borrow money if needed! Now her times are a lot better, but still sometimes she needs something she can't afford, and I always help with whatever I can! And would NEVER ask that money back! Never! If you don't have money, try helping them in another way! Like I did for my father: i found him a job through some friends, my brother needed something, I gave him some tasks, and payed him for doing them! "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat one day, teach him to fish and he'll eat his whole life!"(or something like that LOL)
    Natalia
    promisenatalia

Answer by promisenatalia at 3:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2009