What do you look for in a "Family Friendly" Pet Store???

Hello Ladies~
My husband, David and I are working on opening up a pet store by this Holiday Season. We were wondering what your ideal pet store would be??? How would you design it to be family friendly?? If you owned a pet store how would you design it??
The only animals we will not carry would be Kittens and Puppies. The laws are so strict in CA that it is not even worth do it. I will work with a rescue group called " Forever Pets" to help people get dogs and cats.
Other than that we are an open book to suggetions and Ideas. Our store will be called " LITTLE PETS" Please give me a lot of details!!! Thank you so much ladies and I hope you had a wonderful weekend!
Jennifer
Cottonwood, CA

JENNIFERKNIGHT

Asked by JENNIFERKNIGHT at 7:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Pets

• I would try to sell "special stuff" that other stores like petsmart or petco don't sell. Lots of toys and "unbreakable" toys (i am looking for that forever). Petsmart and petco don't sell enough dogtoys. I also would love to go to a petstore with a colorful sortiment of leashes, harnesses and collars. Or stylish food and waterbowls! That's that kind of stuff that's hard to find and i would buy no matter what it would cost!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 10:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Well i think it would be neat to have stools so little ones could step up and see fish and frogs better. ALso to have index cards with art, telling little bits of info like what a dwarf frog eats, or where they originate from (like the zoo has).

While mom checks out, have a little rug w/ toy or book table kids could visit

In the bathroom, have animal themed decor, and a stool so little ones can reach the soap.

At check-out lines, you could have gum up top where mom and dad could see it, but at the bottom, children's books or inexpensive bug rings, animal pencils, things they could save up for or mom and dad wouldn't feel was too expensive to treat them to.

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I know this is super silly and a lot of extra work, but we have a local pet shop where they have all the animals for sale in big open play areas. Everytime I go in there for cat food I sit with DD and let her pet the bunnys and the mice. It helps so the animals are more people-friendly and we've come home with quite a few random pets (rats, snake, hampsters, etc...over the years) that were just too sweet to leave behind! Plus who doesn't like getting to know sweet animals? I even enjoy playing with the snakes and lizards! (But at the one here they also have like...big bugs...I don't pet those.) The birds are also really fun because they have just one big room the birds fly around in, so you can go in there and sit on the floor and all the birds fly up and land on you...it's really cool.

Like a mini-zoo! I love it and DD loves to visit all the animals...we look forward to when we run out of litter or cat food! :)
    eyoungmom88

Answer by eyoungmom88 at 3:50 AM on Jul. 22, 2008

• My biggest advice--make sure you know everything about what you sell. Too many people go home with pets they don't properly take care of. Have "learning sessions" where people can come in and learn how to handle, feed, pet, and love their small pet(whatever it may be). You could have a different pet class every week. Make sure all pets that go home have the right home, litter, toys, etc...
    firewinky38

Answer by firewinky38 at 4:27 AM on Jul. 22, 2008