Training a puppy (a deaf one)

I have 2 new puppies. They are 10 week old Boxers. The interesting thing about them is they are both deaf. I am having a hard time trying to get them to go potty outside and quit climbing on my 2 daughters. I will take them outside to go potty and as soon as I let them back in the will do their deed all over my floor. Luckily they choose the linoleum to potty on but it is so frustrating. Any ideas that might help?

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 9:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Pets

• use a lot of hand motions and use them same ones for each thing u say like the same motion for no and what not. alost if thier doing something bad since they cant hear you stomp on the floor, they should feel the vebrations and turn to see where it came from.
    good luck
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My mom and i had a deaf rottwieler and we trained her with all hand motions and you just have to use hand motions and if they go potty on the floor take them and show them were the went potty at and point your finger at like in a mad way and take them outside. Or watch them if they start sniffing around in ur house hurry up and them outside and when they go potty give them a treat and show them lots of love since they cant hear u say good boy or good girl.
    lorenzosgurl

Answer by lorenzosgurl at 10:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I always use hand signals when training. Boxers are highly intelligent and will learn quickly. To stop the climbing on your children, remove them, and I always shake my index finger from side to side. Never use anger though, they don't realize they are doing anything wrong. For the pottie problems, the next time they leave you a gift, take it outside to where you want them to go. Always take them to that spot and be patient. Initially, you'll have to catch them going. Give them a treat and highly praise them, rubbing their fur and playing with them. Never give any kind of discipline for accidents, they are just babies, you would never punish a baby for going in his diaper.The treats I use for training are hotdogs sliced and quartered. Put them on a paper towel and cook them in the microwave until almost krispie. I've never trained a dog that wouldn't do anything I wanted them to for those treats.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 10:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• crate train them. only let them out to go potty and after they have gone but put them back in an hour of so before they are to go to bathroom again. so they learn to hold it till they go outside. it's a challenge to train deaf dogs but can be done. at 10 months i would take them out 4-6 hours.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2009