Which is cheaper for a 2 day getaway. Old Town San Diego or Santa Barbara?

I told DH i wanted to go to Santa Barbara and stay at a hotel for 2 days, Walk around, eat, go to the beach. Preferably a really nice beach like Butterfly Beach Montecito Santa Barbara. I also been wanting to go to Old town san diego for a long time too. I will be bringing our 2 year old son and leaving our older two kids with my mom. The kids will be out of school May 25. I want to go to San Diego because its nice there too and i want to go to La Jolla beach and go see a cousin that owns a Paleteria shop in Chula Vista. But i also want to go to Santa Barbara too which is 3 hours away from us and San Diego is 2 hours and 24 mins away.

Santa Barbara doesnt have nice clear beaches, not what i have seen from there website, youtube and pictures on google. I want to have a good time and go when its hot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Apr. 29, 2012 in Just for Fun

• Personally, I'd choose Old Town San Diego. You can find a much cheaper hotel than in Santa Barbara. Great Mexican food in Old Town, Historic sites. Catch the trolley and go to Gas Lamp District. There is always Balboa Park to explore, the Zoo, beaches, Just remember two phrases for San Diego May Grey and June Gloom. Notorious heavy offshore marine layer every morning that usually burns off by noon..but it will seriously hamper a tanning effort. SD in July is wonderful...Late June thru July 4th is the Southern California Exposition at the Del Mar fairgrounds.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• Old towns great, Cafe coyote is yu malicious.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 3:56 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• thanks for the info. Have you heard of the Cosmopolitan hotel? i called and she said its a Bed and breakfast and im kinda falling for it lol. I like the more expensive rooms that has a copper looking bathtub. I'd book it just to shock DH. I can see his face now walking into a bathroom with no real shower haha
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• I would guess Old Town San Diego; more fun, too!

Answer by rkoloms at 4:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2012