What's the real reason why you drifted away from Christianity?

Many people have multiple stories and their own versions as to why they don't believe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• Oh. I had no idea they found the real face of Jesus. Was that the shroud?
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 7:49 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• Researched history, philosophy, sociology, and the impact it all had on cultures and societies and how they evolved and grew. It really is pretty straight forward. Now I'm an Atheist. Though if you're wondering what kicked the ball rolling it was something to do with why there were 37,000 different denominations of Christianity that just couldn't seem to get along. Add in the other Abrahamic based faiths  and being unable to reconcile differences and the credibility of the Abrahamic God was shot. From there it was simply progressive.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• And now you've lost your credibility and started rambling..You were doing so good this time too!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• OP ... what the hell is all that rambling you directed towards me? Seriously. What is it supposed to be?

Secondly, why are you so desperately trying to convince everyone to convert? Are you trying to meet a month end quota or something?

Finally, your posts read as convoluted nonsense.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• "If Jesus did preach and was here how could he not be more of a mere man since he did come from virgin marry?"

I don't buy into that, OP. I said I believe he existed as a man, I never said I believed he existed because he was born of a virgin. To me, the Bible is a bunch of stories. Nothing more, nothing less. There is no logic in those stories, and often times they contradict each other. Don't try to convert me, OP. I respectfully gave me answer. I expect to be treated with respect in return. I don't believe. Please don't try to convince me that I do.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• I drifted away because it stopped making sense to me. I was really sad about that too, I loved Christianity. One of the big dealbreakers for me, was God telling Abraham that he must sacrifice his son. Abraham tied that boy up, he was ready to go. If a man did that today, he would be in jail, because that's psychotic. The whole idea of, you must love God more than your own children, is not right IMO. Tell me OP, would you kill your child as a sacrifice to God rather than go to hell? Abraham would have. And then along comes Jesus, and what does he say? Jesus said, "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple" Sorry Jesus, I won't hate my mother and father, spouse, children, brethren and sisters, and I won't hate myself. Aren't you supposed to honor your parents? Contradictions galore! I love and respect(cont)
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• OK,
    I'm gonna pretend this isn't a total troll post and give an answer:

I just CANNOT make myself believe that an ancient Jewish carpenter chose to have himself nailed to a tree for me or anyone else.
    I just CANNOT worship one (and only one) MALE god, and deny the Mother Goddess.
    I just CANNOT believe any of the fantastic, mythological stories in the Bible *actually* happened.
    I just CANNOT submit myself to the misogyny of a patriarchal tradition.
    And I just CANNOT compromise what *I* truly believe in my whole heart, mind, soul and body...to be a "Christian".
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 9:23 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• *sigh* I'm done. I have my beliefs. They are nothing like yours. You claim science and logic, but it's nothing like my science and logic. The Deus is not the Abrahamic god, so please don't tell me that It is. My beliefs never claim to have an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent god. The Deus is not that.

My reasoning for the Big Bang is logical to me. I will not debate it unless someone is very willing to hear my side. Why? Because my beliefs are important to me. I don't need someone thinking they can belittle them. And of course, at some point, that will probably happen. I won't allow you to do that.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• But science does not prove God, OP. Granted, I believe in Him, but from an Atheist's perspective the fact that it all had to come from somewhere doesn't mean that God is the only option. I believe in a scientific explanation, I just believe that there was a Divine Source behind it. Others can believe in the science of it without that science proving the idea of God, since the idea of God is a step further, outside of what science can prove, and is based on faith. That's why it's called faith, because it is not undeniably proven. I think He intended it to be that way for a reason, because making it impossible to not believe would change His relationship with us. It's not like belief is a choice - it either seems logical/probable or it doesn't. A true Atheist does not believe there is any evidence for God (not the idea of God, the reality of God). It's not like they believe in God and just refuse to acknowledge Him.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• Christianity has been around for 2000 years and change. Humans have been around for 5.5 million years, and change.

Christianity is really very young compared to the age of the world
    Anonymous