Worried about SIDS

So we finally got our son on a sleeping schedule and he can fall asleep on his own. But every since he figured out how to roll over from his back to his tummy that is the only way he wants to sleep. Which I guess is fine except... sometimes he gets face down and has a little trouble breathing, or he'll drool a ton, so he's laying in a huge wet spot and gets cold and wet. Not to mention I'm super worried about SIDS. Should I be worried about it and look into how to avoid it. Or since he sleeps better that way anyways, should I just let him be comfortable? (and if I go in there to roll him over onto his back or side he just goes right back to his tummy)

RenaJean

Asked by RenaJean at 10:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• did you try the pillow things(sorry not actually sure what they are called) that you can put on the sides of the baby so that they dont roll. I know some people just rolled up blankets and put one on each side.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 10:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• im the same way, my DD's doc said if she can roll onto her belly she is old enough to be left alone that way. I told him how scared i am and he said its ok and to relax and leave her be or else i will never sleep if im constantly waking to roll her back over
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 10:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• worry about sids is scary I agree. I used to periodically swipe a feather across my babies feet, it didn't wake them but they stirred and stretched and breathed a deep breath naturally without actually waking up. What's the AAP thoughts on sleep positions and sids now? My kids are alot older.
    Anonymous

• One they are able to roll on their own the risk goes down.... but if you want something to help YOU sleep at night you can buy a movement monitor for about $80 which alarms after 30 seconds of no movement... we have one because I was so paranoid I couldn't sleep at night.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• We probably ALL slept on our bellies as babies, and we're here to tell the tale. Some babies sleep better on their tummies.

My daughter naps on her tummy during the day when I'm awake to watch her. She doesn't nap well on her back, plus she has spitting up issues and she ALWAYS spits up when she's flat on her back. At night she either sleeps in her carseat in the crib or on the boppy in the crib.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:23 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Just put him on his back when you put him to sleep and if he rolls over he'll be fine. At this point you don't need to worry about sids as much as you have before. If your son sleeps better once he rolls on his stomach then let him, the last thing you want is a sleep deprived baby on your hands.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 10:23 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• well i read all those books and articles and everything on SIDS and my 6mo old boy sleeps either on his side or his tummy... he just will not sleep on his back... but you know, they keep going back and forth about if its better to sleep on back or tummy, and every baby is different, they now say the best way to avoid SIDS is to put a fan on in the room with the baby... i always have a fan on with him and i think it makes a huge difference... he drolls alot too, but the thing is, they know how to move their heads from side to side and roll over, so as long as you check on him frequently and your careful, i don't think there's anything wrong with it... you just always have to remember, all babies are different and the studies on SIDS change almost monthly, just do what feels right to you, mother always knows best... we got that intuition thing going on... lol... hope that helped.. good luck :)
    sweetmama8

Answer by sweetmama8 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I'm all for the movement monitor! I love mine! A sleep positioner might also work, though I never saw any that would be able to keep my big lug from rolling over!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 10:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I understand my DS actually wakes up at night and I have to flip him from back to tummy to get him to sleep. I still have him next to me at night and I just keep a hand on him so I can feel him breathing. and I wake up periodically to check on him.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2009