Which socialist program do you hate the most? Which one would you do away with?

Social Security?

Medicare?

Education system?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't hate socialist programs. I hate the mentality of some people who feel entitled to them and refuse to better themselves. I have lived in Germany where they have several socialist programs. You don't see generational poverty over there like you see here.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:24 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• I'm sure no one hates THESE "socialist" programs. Only the ones that help out those damned lazy poor.

Where is the sweetpea that is stirring a pot when you need it?
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 8:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• Entitlement? hmmm Have you walked a day in their shoes? I believe there are people who feel entitled on both ends of the spectrum. Human nature.
    Was Romney born entitled? I don't have to be poor to have empathy for those less fortunate. I, personally, know many rich people who feel entitled and would screw you any day of the week.... and do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• Let's not forget about libraries, the post office, and fire, police, and rescue departments ;)
    Conmom456

Answer by Conmom456 at 8:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• Thank you conmom.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• The real question is, how are we going to sustain these programs? And why go anon?

Social Security’s expenditures exceeded non-interest income in 2010 and 2011, the first such occurrences since 1983, and the Trustees estimate that these expenditures will remain greater than non-interest income throughout the 75-year projection period. The deficit of non-interest income relative to expenditures was about $49 billion in 2010 and $45 billion in 2011, and the Trustees project that it will average about $66 billion between 2012 and 2018 before rising steeply as the economy slows after the recovery is complete and the number of beneficiaries continues to grow at a substantially faster rate than the number of covered workers.

(not my words)

JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• Anon, please reread my statement. I didn't say that all people on socialist type programs feel entitled and abuse the system. I said that some do and that is the truth. Have I walked in their shoes? I sure have. Not only have I had to use WIC at one point but now that I am in a better position, I am working as an AmeriCorps member (domestic version of the PeaceCorps) where I work with poverty students and families and I get paid at the poverty level for my area so that I can walk in their shoes. The main problem that I see on a DAILY basis is that 1. there are some people who do take advantage of the system and their children grow up thinking that public assistance is the only way to live. and 2. Some people don't want to help themselves and the ones that do want to help themselves and try to do better, our government brings them down.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:46 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• First of all Jackie, if you must ask me why go anon, you already don't get it. If you have achieved anything in life you should know, never sign your name to anything that could come back to you.

I don't need social security, medicare and my children are grown and went to private school. However, these programs are good for America.
    How are we going to sustain Social Security? Increase the maximum payment. It is now $110,100. Some people will never hit the max, others will make that in one day. I have no problem increasing my max for others. Derek Jeter hits his max with the first ball he hits. I doubt increasing his max will hurt him or others like him.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• Jeremysmom. I congratulate you for making your life better.
    The problem I see on a daily basis is the upper class taking advantage of every opportunity there is to help themselves.
    They have illegals working for them. (nannies,cooks, housekeepers, gardeners etc.) They put their personal expenses on their business accounts. More tax loopholes than you could ever imagine.
    Not all, but some. just as you see people taking advantage of the system, so do I. However, we can't lose sight of the responsible people who need help and should receive it. Some government programs work and should continue.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• "I don't need social security, medicare and my children are grown and went to private school. However, these programs are good for America. ..."OP
    The programs are flawed yes, they need an overhaul, need to fix whats broken and so on. But just because YOU don't need social security, doesn't mean somebody else doesn't either. But people like me, or like Jackie, or any other woman here may need it.
    " I hate the mentality of some people who feel entitled to them and refuse to better themselves...."Jeremysmom
    AS for social security, if the person who paid into it all their lives, I think there should be a sense of entitlement don;t you? Or are you talking about folks who file for social security cause they may be disabled?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 29, 2012