Which socialist program do you hate the most? Which one would you do away with?

Social Security?

Medicare?

Education system?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Well alright! lol I have never acheived anything in life so I wouldn't know this!

I agree with you, these programs are good for America! Currently, they need some fixing but overall they are good. Increasing the maximum is an interesting idea, so you think it should be increased for everyone or just the rich?
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• The rich...they can afford it better then many people I know.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• Ok then I'm fine with that Michigan Mom! LOL

I'm kidding. Here's a thought that will blow your mind. What if we had none of these government programs, none at all. Do you think nobody would step up to help people? What happened to the poor before these systems were put in place? Did only the rich survive? Just a thought.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• You are saying that Social Security is a SOCIALIST program? DO you know what it IS? It is a contribution made by people ,deducted from each paycheck and it is sent to their Social Security Account---a savings for their retirement. It is NOT socialist. I have been working since 1960 and Social Security has been deducted from each paycheck. It is now being returned to me monthly since I am retired. My checking account receives an automatic Social Security deposit . I deserve it. It is not an "entitlement" it is my savings.I also have Medicare health care. It is not an "entitlement". It is my due.

Education is necessary. Student loans are a great help. YOU need education OP.

lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• What happened to the poor before these systems were put in place? Poorhouses. If you were poor, you were place in a poorhouse to work. I don't have a problem with someone being put to work to earn their keep, but there were often laws against children living in poorhouses, so that meant if you had to live in one your children were separated from you and placed in an orphanage. Before poorhouses, destitute persons and their families could be auctioned to the lowest bidder, essentially forming a type of indentured servitude.

Even with these systems in place there are still plenty of people who fall through the cracks, children who are food insecure, etc. Who is helping them?
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 11:47 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• Oh, and I want to add, OP. This is one of the dumbest questions I have seen on CM for a long long time.
    The fact that you asked :'Which of these "socialist" programs do you hate....." ? Is soooooo damn stupid. Seeing as how they are NOT Socialist. And you don't even now what they ARE! LOL.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 29, 2012

• Welfare Programs that could go and I wouldn't miss, and state govt's save millions or have a STRICT and ENFORCED rules..
    Supplemental Security Income...what is that for anyway??? Temporary Assistance for Needy Families...real temporary 30 days....
    Food Stamp Program....1 year I think should suffice right? And can't reapply for another year maybe??
    Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) .......no cutting
    National School Lunch Program...if parents are on FA, I should think they don't need free lunchs...hmmm make sense to me
    School Breakfast Program...same as ^^^^
    United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) ...whats that for? Well besides the obvious. Whats that in a welfare program?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:26 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• @Jackie..Also, as for people stepping up to help..maybe a few, I would help where I could, but I think many will not. At least the city I live in will just shoot you and take what they want. Especially since our emergency city manager has cut our police and fire dept in half. We now have 1 cop per 1,000 people. They are now closing a fire dept on my side of town, the only fire dept on this side. When train goes by or if it stops for a pick up of whatever, we are cut off from the other part of the city. In other words, if my house is on fire, and there is a train on the tracks, I will be homeless, and I will be cooking hot dogs and making s'mores! lol
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• There are I am sure, many govt programs that could be cut and nixed and never be seen again, and many be none the wiser. Like with HUD programs...\
    Rental Vouchers & Certificates
    Section 8 Housing Vouchers
    Shelter Plus Care
    Single Room Occupancy
    Low Income Home Energy Assistance ......These can go and save several millions $ in many states, especially here in MI.
    The social security programs should stay, and be over hauled and fixed and some have time limits such as U.E. earnings., Who needs UE checks for 2 yrs? Or if they SERIOUSLY made an attempt and can prove it ok....maybe, but cut it. Call it a incentive.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:38 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• bank bailouts, war, tax breaks for companies that do business overseas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Apr. 30, 2012