When is a two year old ready to potty train?

She is just over two years old. She sees the older children at datcare use the potty, and so she sees a bit interested in the experience. So I decided to try with the potty this weekened. It didn't go well. She had more accidents than succecces. But I think...little by little. I'll get her there. The question is is the right timing? Am I doing this correctly? Some parents sit there chld there ever so often as scheduled. I've been letting her sit till she pees, quite frankly. Advice? What's the best way to potty train? And how do you know if they are ready?

mlinton87

Asked by mlinton87 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When she shows signs that she is interested. Which you stated she has showns those signs because of watching the other kids at daycare. With my daughter who is 2 1/2 I took her to the potty with me everytime I went. (I took water pills so I had to pee alot...lol) when she would pee or poop in the potty I made a BIG FUSS about how wonderful she did....clapping and laughing and praising her. As she got the hang of going to the potty she got treats (M&M's)....she realised what happened everytime she went potty and would go often. Then we moved on to stickers on a potty chart on the fridge. When we go to the store she gets to pick out what new stickers she wants for her chart. ALOT of enthusiasm and praise and she will get the hang of going potty. And be consistent!!! Potty training is hard. You cant do it one day then not the next..kwim. Good luck!
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 10:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• First, you should talk to her about, what she should do if she feels she has to pee. What she need to do after words if she pee's in the diaper. My son is 21 months and i use pull ups during the day and diapers during sleep times. I tell him what i'm doing and then he should do it too "like a big boy" Sometime he goes and sometime he dont, but 80% of the time they will pee when they wake up in the morning and from a nap. My son only gets a sippie after each meal and snack. Full sippie after breakfast ,lunch, and dinner. Then a half a sippie for snack. That way he's on a controlled schdule. I put him on the potty after every meal. I dont let him run around the house with a sippie in his hand cuz its not a toy...u-know. I dont give him anything to drink after 5-6:00 becuz i put him down 4 bed between 7-8. If I do, i have learned i have to wake up 3-4 in the morning to change a soaken wet toddler( who's crying). goodluck
    Serenityc21

Answer by Serenityc21 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2009