Has anyone ever been put to sleep during a c-section??

My ob said if I have to have a cesection then they may have to just put me to sleep because, I cant have spinals due to back surgery. Has anyone ever been put under while having there baby??

Chas21

Asked by Chas21 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my mom was put to sleep
    Anonymous

• No, I had two and I was awake for both.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 10:23 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• my close friend was, but it was an emergency. she had a placenta issue that was missed and she started hemorrhaging out.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:23 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I had to be put to sleep because I was on blood thinners during my pregnancy and could not have a spinal. Personally, I was relieved to not be awake while I was being cut open, but my husband was not allowed in the room and didn't get to cut the cord and I didn't get to hear my baby's first cry. There are a few things I regret about it, but I am healthy and so is my baby, so it was all worth it and I would do it again! Best of luck to you.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Are they sure the spinal won't work???? I had back surgery and had a c-sec with an epidural and had no problem. My second c-sec is due in June with an epidural. I was afraid an epidural wouldn't work but it did. GOOD LUCK

If you have to be put to sleep just remember the outcome is the same no matter what!!!
    lovinmymason

Answer by lovinmymason at 11:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• wow you hit my biggest fear... I am so scared that I wont be able to see my baby the second he or she is born.. I know I am only 11 weeks but even with my son I was the same way.. had a normal vag delivery! :) wow I dont know what to say but good luck and like lovingmymason said the out come is still the same no matter what!!
    TravisJohnsmama

Answer by TravisJohnsmama at 3:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I have. It really sucked. I wasn't able to bond with the baby for a LONG time, I never saw her come out or heard her cry. I didn't even want to see her at first. They also make you do a breathing excercise that makes you cough and it literally feels like you are being ripped open every time. And they must have you do it since you will be intubated during the surgery.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 27, 2009