This author asks:

Is Religion Bad for Women?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:04 PM on Apr. 29, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Well considering that Husbands should love their wives like Christ loved the church and gave his life for her. And seeing that Jesus was very good to women. I would say NO!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on May. 1, 2012

• We aren't equals in creation. We are property. Men created religion and, because they're afraid of us, they use it to keep us down in the dirt.
    >>
    The feeling down in the dirt is obviously a personal experience for you. I can assure it is not for most women. I do not feel that men, in general, are afraid of me or my power. And I'm no shrinking violet.
    You've got a really screwed up and twisted take on biblical passages, I still pray for you. It's pretty obvious you've been hurt by someone of the male persuasion in a position of authority
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:21 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 2 “Speak to the children of Israel, saying: ‘If a woman has conceived, and borne a male child, then she shall be unclean seven days; as in the days of her customary impurity she shall be unclean. 4 She shall then continue in the blood of her purification thirty-three days. She shall not touch any hallowed thing, nor come into the sanctuary until the days of her purification are fulfilled.

‘But if she bears a female child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her customary impurity, and she shall continue in the blood of her purification sixty-six days.

Anonymous

• 20 “But if the thing is true, and evidences of virginity are not found for the young woman, 21 then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones, because she has done a disgraceful thing in Israel, to play the harlot in her father’s house. So you shall put away the evil from among you.

Anonymous

• I don't know master rabbi Sharon. If WQ is indeed wrong, perhaps you can enlighten me on the meaning of the above verses. You know, since I am often accused of taking things out of context and reading them for what they are. Because it does seem as if childbirth is close to a sin and you should stone a non-virgin on the doorsteps. Also if you could enlighten me as to how they determined a girl to be a non-virgin. Did they just take a man's word for it?
    Anonymous

• "I don't know master rabbi Sharon. If WQ is indeed wrong, perhaps you can enlighten me on the meaning of the above verses"

Sure, by all means.
    First of all, take the original Hebrew. The word used to refer to the state a woman enters after giving birth (and during her period) is "niddah", which, for lack of a better word has been translated as "unclean". In reality it has no proper translation in other languages as it means having been in contact with death. A woman had a life developing inside her, that life left her body, that "loss" makes her enter this state. It's not exclusive to women, BTW, men also have this state after visiting a cemetery or ejaculating, for example. As with our period, we loose contact with a potential life inside us.
    So the woman isn't impure or dirty or has the cooties. It's a state of spiritual blockage that results from this loss of direct contact with a life inside her.

Continued
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:12 PM on May. 1, 2012

• And why oh why the unbelievable unfairness of being in this state longer for a girl? Simple, because girls are born with all their eggs formed, unlike boys, who start producing sperm later. Therefore the mother not only looses contact with her daughter's life developing inside her but with all that potential life inside her girl.

I always do enjoy the in your face attitude that comes from someone who doesn't even have the guts to show herself, though.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:19 PM on May. 1, 2012

• Oh BTW for the one who did it, downvoting a direct bible verse seems a new low. Thank you, Sharon, for providing the explanations.
    Anonymous

• I always do enjoy the in your face attitude that comes from someone who doesn't even have the guts to show herself, though.

My apologies for going anonymous. I get enough hate mail in my personal message box. I really don't need more of it. It's not about lack of guts. Thanks for your concern over my digestive system, however. :)

Now about that virginity test and being stoned on the doorstep if you fail.
    Anonymous

• As for your other verse, it's been wrongly interpreted as referring to premarital sex. It's not, it's about adultery. In fact, premarital sex isn't a sin in Judaism and it's even one of the ways to consider a couple married. Furthermore, being formally betrothed in Jewish law is the same as being married, any extracurriculuar activity would be considered adultery and adultery carried the death penalty- for both the man and the woman.
    So when a betrothed man believes his now wife committed adultery during the bethrotal period, he has to prove it true. If he cannot then he is punished for slander. If it's true, then the penalty is death.
    Now "stoning" in Jewish law doesn't mean everyone taking a stone and throwing it at the other person until he/she is dead. I suggest you educate yourself on what the death penalty is in the OT and how it was applied. It was actually very rarely applied as the conditions

Continued
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:31 PM on May. 1, 2012