My almost stepson has been diagnosed with ADHD. He is in intervention classes at school and will continue to have them in the 1st grade. His mother said she needed his report card to show to Social Services so Medicaid would pay for these classes. Has anyone heard about this type of thing before? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds to me she needs it to try and get him on some type of finacial aid or disability. Schools offer classes for this type of thing and it is paid by the taxpayers. You pay taxes to put your kids in public school. If this is a private school, then yes it may cost more for a "special course." Public school though, she is full of bull as to why she wants it. She is entitled to have it though. She is his mom.
    StevensWife

Answer by StevensWife at 7:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Thanks, that is what I thought too. Even his dad told her it was a public school and all that was covered with that but she still argued with him about it. He is going there himself to find out more about the situation.
    Anonymous

• My son has been diagnosed with ADHD. His doctor told me about accomodations that schools need to make for certain kids with ADHD (my son doesn't need them), but nothing that I would have had to pay for or get someone else to pay for. It's a federal law that they have to provide accomodations or classes for children with ADHD or other learning disabiltiies. I think she may be either lying or confused about what she needs to do.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2008

• adhd is fake!!! just put that kid in check make him stop being a brat and discipline him!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2008

• ADHD is NOT fake. Both my sons have ADHD. They actually quite well behaved. When I sit by them in a chair they can not sit still for the life of them. They are up, down and upside down.... I am a kindergarten teacher. If a child has ADHD you will know because they can't focus or sit still. YES a good disapline plan should be in place but it is a true problem. I am so sick of people not understanding. I hope your perfect life never stops.
    zaysmom

Answer by zaysmom at 8:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2008

• ADHD is a very REAL problem. There are tests to go through to get that diagnosis, and I am tired of judgemental people who think they know everything about everything when they have no idea what they are talking about. with the proper tools children with ADHD can learn how to cope and make adjustments to help them to be more acceptable in the mainstream.

the thing about needing his report card for assistance with paying for the intervention classes is bunk! it is provided through the school funding and also AEA helps. schools get extra funding for every child needing special education/interventional classes/etc.

i have been dealing with the ins and outs of this for the past 7 years. if you would like more insight, support or just plain need to know you are not alone, private message me! Best of luck!
    aliciatakescare

Answer by aliciatakescare at 2:52 PM on Jul. 26, 2008