Do you have problems going to sleep? What do you take?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 11:44 PM on Apr. 29, 2012 in Just for Fun

• I don't have trouble falling asleep. I have trouble staying asleep. I drink chamomile tea. I have a lavender spray I made that I'll spray on my pillow. But most of the time, I'll stare at the darkness and eventually fall back asleep... (I'm usually awake between 1/1:30 and 4:30). Sometimes I'll just get up and do something...
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I take calcium at bedtime because it makes me really drowsy.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I use magnesium.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:46 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Melatonin is a hormone; I would be very cautious about using it.

I take Rescue Sleep or valerian

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• OH... and when I was pregnant I had horrible all-day sickness. OB gave me B6 lollipops and a prenatal called nutri-calm that was basically extra B6. not only did it help the nausea, i found myself feeling quite relaxed after taking it. (perhaps it was the effect of B6 on anxiety)
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:49 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• melatonin works for me... it doesn't knock you out like benadryl and will gradually help your body adjust to proper levels so you don't take it for a prolonged period.

i also developed a little mantra years ago - basically that i will fall asleep quickly and get exactly the right amount of sleep (there's more to it). i "say" it in my head a few times, but it is slowed down to the frequency of speech in my head (i.e. i'm not thinking it faster than i could speak it) - it is the exact same few phrases every time. it seems to work very well.. i don't know why. i guess it's similar to counting sheep lol. somewhere in there i think it has to do with consciously slowing the brain down or else hypnotizing it in a way.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:47 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I was taking Valerian but it stopped helping. I have Melatonin (3mg) now and when I bother to take it, it seems to work okay. Well, I guess it does. I average 4 or 5am going to bed and getting up around 7 or 8am.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:44 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I don't take anything I just suffer through. I did take a medicine but I hate being dependant if I have the choice not to.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I was taking Ambien, it got prescribed at the end of my pregnancy because I was having contractions for over week without dilating. I stopped taking it once DS was born though because I was worried I wouldn't wake up when he cried. Now I suffer through the sleeplessness, at least until he starts sleeping through the night. Once he is sleeping through the night I will be seeing what option I have for a sleep aide.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:16 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Sometimes herbal tea.

Or it really helps if How It's Made is on (which I love but totally puts me to sleep if it's late at night when I am watching).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2012