How do I get my newborn to open her mouth wider for breastfeeding?

She only latch on the tip of my nipple which is not right and extremely painful for me. She's 3 weeks old.

ProudMomma626

Asked by ProudMomma626 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same problem with my 1st born. I had to put my finger next to my nipple and help insert the nipple in her mouth, This took a few weeks for her to get use to but she finally started opening up wider and I could remove my finger. I had a few more tricks so if you need more pm me.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 7:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Rub your nipple on her nose and she'll move her head and mouth up to get it. When she does be quick and get it in there. I learned this at one of my many many lactation classes at the hospital!
    summerbudbud

Answer by summerbudbud at 8:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• sounds mean but blow lightly in her face (nose area) works for some not all though
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 8:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I would pinch my nipple to get as much of it into her mouth as possible. I remember her trying to latch to the tip and it hurt so I just kept repositioning and soon enough she got better.
    Suzanne740

Answer by Suzanne740 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• It is wrong since it is painful. I had the same prob and it was so hurtful! I took her off by placing my finger in my son's mouth to unlatch him, then tried again and again. Make sure her tongue is under your nipple, not above, and that she gets a huge mouthful, not just the tip. I would "tease" my son into opening bigger by placing my breast by his nose, above his mouth so he opened wide, and I could place mroe into his mouth.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• ps call the local health dept. for a lactation consultant to talk to or visit you, or la leche league...
    TXdanielly

• I had the same problem with all of my kids in the beginning and here is what really works:
    To open the baby's mouth wider gently pull her chin down with your finger...when her mouth widens guide your nipple into her mouth. Remove it right away if the latch isn't right. It might take a few tries. I learned this from a Lactation consultant after I had my second child and it really works!
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 11:35 AM on Jul. 21, 2008