I am worried

I am worried i have been trying to breast feed and i got milk but im being told i have to supplement with formula because shes not gaining anything shes losing instead
i am worried she would rather formula feed instead of breast feed...
I really want her to breast feed but the doctors keep saying i need to supplement feed her to what am i doing wrong that wont get her to gain weight instead of lose it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes this happens. Can you not breatfeed and add formula to pumped breast milk? That way she is getting the supplement from the formula and still getting breastmilk. Mine were preemies and I HAD to use Neosure for the calories so I pump and added it to the breastmilk. Have you spoken with a LC and is she getting enough breastmilk?
    NiHao

Answer by NiHao at 10:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Talk to your doctor about what else you can do, as we can't tell what's not working properly. There are so many different things that could be going on, and all we'd be doing is guessing...and possibly making you more nervous! Your doctor will be the best one to help you decide what to feed your baby, not us strangers. :) Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 10:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• This happened to me too. My daughter was 8'1" at birth and 6'5" when she left the hospital. I supplemented with formula to help her gain the weight back. The doctors never suggested it, I just did it. I think making sure she's fed is what's most important. Maybe try the breast first and then fill her up with formula. Hopefully in time she'll start filling up on the breast and won't need the supplement. Btw, can you pump, maybe that could be the supplement rather than formula???
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• How old is the baby? Breast fed babies take longer to gain weight in the beginning. Send me a message
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Don't sweat it. They can take both if you let them. You can mix expressed breast milk with the formula, too.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 10:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I think I would try to find a lactation specialist to help you. They can also weigh your baby before and after feeding to help you know how much she is getting at the breast.
    Drink plenty of water, make sure she spends enough time on one breast to get the rich hind milk (offer one breast, when she seems done, burp her get her awake and offter the same breast again before moving on the the second.) If she seems to sleep a lot you might have to try dream feedings where you get her to eat when she is asleep.
    If the doctor for sure wants supplementing... try pumping after feedings and offer her what you have pumped.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• This happen to my kids. Some babies take longer to gain weight. Keep up the good work if need be top her off with the formula but breastfeed first.
    Anonymous

• i did both with both my daughters.. my first one did just fine going back and forth between boob and bottle and my 2nd would throw up all her little guts could from the harshness of the formula..every baby is diffrerent..i would take your dr.s advice..he/she is only looking out for your baby's best interest. your baby may do fine and your baby may like a bottle better, but you'll never know until you do it. GL
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2009