Do you do your own home repairs?

Or pay someone to do them?

DJDNY

Asked by DJDNY at 8:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2012 in Home & Garden

• Depends on what it is ... minor repairs, we try to do it. Just a few examples ... if the faucets (kitchen, bath) need changing, I change them. We will change the outlets and light fixtures.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:05 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Depends on the repair... we do whatever we can.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Do our own. If we can't do it I call my best friends hubby!
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• We do our own. My dh lived in a 200 yr old farm house growing up. So he can fix anything now.
    Mrs.Elgert

Answer by Mrs.Elgert at 9:10 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• We do our own as long as the project isn't going to be too great like replumbing the entire house. LOL
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:18 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• it depends on the job..i can wield a hammer and drill..but i can't cut wood. i can rehang a light fixture, but i can't fix one that doesn't work (internal electrical issues).
    i can do a lot of physical/ABC stuff, but i leave the XYZ to the pros.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I usually do them if it's not too complicated. If I can find a video on ehow or youtube for what I need to do I will do it myself.

When we sold our last house there were two toilet valves leaking (it was the thing that refills the tank) and we had a water heater that was leaking. The water heater was covered under a warranty but the toilets weren't. The plumber guy that did the water heater quoted me $300 for each toilet repair. I looked it up online and watched a couple of instructional videos and did the repairs myself. It took about an hour and a half to replace both of them and the parts cost me around $35 and that included flex hoses to replace the hard metal tube.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Just this morning I was throwing a little hissy fit because 'we' don't seem to fix something when it breaks. It just stays broken. Of course I had to apologize to hubs because 1.he is not a 'handy' type guy, 2.he is still ill and is just barely able to get up and down the steps. Sometimes I can be such a bitch----SURPRISE SURPRISE TO MANY OF YOU!!!
    I'm going to find a handytype guy to hire for these repairs.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:56 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I try. I bought a book "Hme maintaince for dummies' it's helped me a couple times but I got a really good maile friend who will come over in a heart beat to help me out.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• pretty much. the only time we have had to pay someone was for an outside electrical issue.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 12:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2012