Do you monitor your kids myspace accounts or accounts that are similar?

Some say it's invation of privacy. I say it's responsible parenting. What's your take on it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids aren't old enough to have one, but my sister and I do monitor our 14 yo sister's myspace. It was the only way our parents would allow her to have one. I think it's being responsible you never know what can happen on the web.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 10:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• If I had younger children, you can bet your sweet patooti I would be monitoring their activities. I always say, as long as you are supporting them and they are under your roof, there is no privacy. My kids learned real fast... what's theirs is mine... You have to keep track of them.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 10:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• There is no privacy in my house until your eighteen and on your own. With that in mind I should say that yes they do have "privacy" unless they give me a reason not to trust them. I personally do not agree that children should be allowed to have a computer in their room or all to themselves. We have one computer and that's all they need. I would also not let them have a myspace account or facebook account at this time. My oldest is almost 12. Whatever happened to the phone?:)
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 11:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• If kids have any of that I agree to monitor is responsible parenting. Mine are grown and a teen with two in their twenties also. None of them ever had any company's social network account. The internet is not a toy. To many weirdos out there. My house my rules. Their stuff is my stuff in my house. I've let my kids know in round about ways and other times direct in their face ways of things I've discovered. I raised them to be responsible and to take responsibility and to hear praise and criticism in heaps and bounds both ways.
    Anonymous

• I have ALL my kids screen names and passwords to anything and everything they have access to on the computer, including their myspace.
    And, I will even ask them to hand me their cell phones from time to time, and I look through their texts. My kids have no privacy when it comes to computers. If they want to keep something a secret, then they need to pass notes the old fashioned way =)
    I don't care to snoop, and I will rarely read a message from one of their friends. But, if there is someone that I don't know, I want to know about it. ~ It is my job, as a parent, to protect my kids.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i think with the way people are these days its safer for your kids to monitor things like thier myspaces (you have to be 16 now to have one, but that doesnt really make it any safer, since mose kids lie about thier age to have one) my myspace is really simple, i made my own layouts so you dont see anything idont want you to see. im not 18 and if my mom asked me im sure i wouldnt give her my passwords, but if she wants to veiw my myspace shes more than welcome lol.
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I say my kids will not be on Myspace! I got on there to find old high school friends and I know that even if you aren't looking for it...inappropriate sayings/pictures can Always be found and of course sometimes nudity (until the admins find it of course...)! I say Myspace is for adults Only!! True if you raise your kids right they can tell the difference and know right from wrong but it doesn't have to be Constantly thrown in their face...the world is crazy enough as it is! Just my opinion for whatever it's worth....
    sunnygrl2

Answer by sunnygrl2 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Oh no. We don't have privacy in my home. I don't allow that. I don't even close my door unless need be (if you know what I mean) other than that no doors are closed no locks on doors. And as far as internet my son has his own laptop howvever he is monitored on it. Not only that I have full access to his Myspace.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 11:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My children are wayyy too young for that right now, but when they get to that point, i will have all their passwords and know everything that goes on.. i didnt have any privacy when i grew up in my mothers house, and my children are going to be the same.. my mother wouldnt even knock on my door to come in my room (it's Her house), my dad only knocked becuase he didnt want to walk in on naked daughters.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:03 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• When my son had one I would monitor it and when he broke the rules it got deleted and he hasn't had one since.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 27, 2009