Does anyone know who I can call about a 5 year old boy biting my daughter in the arm?

The neighbor boy from upstairs bit my daughter in the arm last night for no reason. According to him my daughter spit in his face which she is denying it. I ended up in Er because of the whole mess. I have grounded her from playing with the boy from upstairs til something is done about his biting her to the point of leaving marks and brusies. His mom doesn't see that he has a problem biting, but he does. If he don't get his way then he bites anna(my daughter). This is the 1st time that it has happened that it has broken the skin and made terrible brusing. Just was wondering if anyone has any ideas who I can call to get this to stop. Thanks. Teresa

trmarousek

Asked by trmarousek at 10:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That is way too old to be biting.
    Get this. My son when he was 9 went to the neighbor boys house to play. When he came home for dinner, I told him to take a shower before dinner. He took off his shirt while he was still in the kitchen and his back was covered, COVERED with bite marks, BRUISES, from the other boy. I went over and confronted his dad, and he said, oh they were wrestling. I was so pissed. I called the police but they said there was nothing they could do.
    I would confront the parents.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I think that keeping your child away form the biter is enough. What is it that you want done? Do you want compensation for your hospital visit? Do you want CPS involved? Is this a first time thing? Has he bit before for no reason? Keep your kids seperated. I believe thats all you can really do.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• well, technically you could call the cops since it is assault even if he is a small child. they would only really be able to do anything to the parent(s) though.

I don't think you should let them play together anymore. Definitely need adult supervision if you do decide to let them play together again, but really that should have already been happening due to their young age. I don't understand why 2 young kids were playing alone anyways...
    Anonymous

• First: The ER bills go to the boy's parents. If they don't pay, you sue. Call your ins. company to let them know of the liability.

Second: Just don't let the boy play with your kids. Period. Ever. If he can't behave better than that & the parents aren't going to do anything about it.... then there's no reason for them to play together.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Everything Laura said. If the parents don't think he has a problem, then they have a problem. Don't let them play together anymore. He's WAY too old for biting!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:26 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• yes, I agree with Laura. Except for this... if you are going to be neighbors, make sure that the end result is one you can live with. I'm not saying back down out of fear, but if taking them to court is going to end up making you miserable... consider the cost. I had a boy biting me when I was a kid... I was 4, he was six... my brother was 8... my mom talked with the parents and finally sent me and my brother out to beat him up... which worked.. he got told if he bit me again, my brother would beat him up again. We played all the time after that, but he kept hands and teeth to self.
    KrissyKC

Answer by KrissyKC at 9:48 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Keep your child away from the kid.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 10:32 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I agree with Krissy and Laura. Unfortunately if the father knows the situation and still doesn't do anything, the only thing you can do is to keep the children separated. When my son was four, he was bitten on the cheek by another child. There were three teachers in the room, and no one told me anything until I picked him up at the end of the day. The teachers never expressed being sorry, nor the parents of the other child.
    cjsmom734

Answer by cjsmom734 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2009