Are there any single moms on here thats only going to school full time and maintaining a houselhold? I'm really wanting to just foucs on school full time. But i dont know if i will be able to support me and my kids by just going to school and getting grants. any suggestions

aprilrb81

Asked by aprilrb81 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2012 in Money & Work

• I was a single mom to two. I went to school full-time, but I also worked part-time. Full-time for me was just Tues. and Thurs., so I was able to work M, W, F. I also received child support for the girls. I never used any form of public aid, but I did get grants and student loans allowing me to attend school. When I went to see about food stamps, the lady all but told me I needed to quit my job so that I could get everything covered 100%. I got up and walked out... no thanks. So, yes, you can do it, depending on what is considered full-time at your school. I think I was taking 5 classes total. It was tough, but my part-time job wasn't all that demanding, so I was able to study when I had time.

I don't think simply by getting grants and loans you can support your family, unless you get some type of public aid assistance. But, I know everyone's situation is different.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:57 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I went full time and worked part time at the school, with their work study program. That's how I got my first full time job after I graduated.

It was tough; the kids were all under 7 years old, but we managed it
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 10:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I was a single mom of 3 and went to school full time and worked part time. I got food stamps for 4 months and WIC for 9 months. My kids went to their dads on the weekends and I worked 25 hours while they were there. Yes, it was exhausting but it can be done.

Answer by missanc at 2:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I was a single mom when I went back to college. I was able to get a grant to pay for my daycare expenses. I worked during the summers but during the school it was just school and about 10 hours a week of workstudy employment on campus as a tutor and laboratory assistant. The first year I was in school I did have to take out some loans. I focused on my studies and worked hard at them and got straight A's. In my sophomore year, I applied for every scholarship in sight and got a lot of them. I was able to cover my tuition and living expenses with scholarships for my last 3 years of school. One of the reasons I chose the school I did was that there was family housing on campus, so I was able to get my rent & utilities directly out of my financial aid.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Unless you want to be up to your eyeballs in debt, stick with scholarships, working and school

Answer by rkoloms at 6:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2012