When you run out of room to store things in your kitchen . . .

Do you find other places to put things (dishes or small appliances) or do you just purge and get rid of things you don't use often?

My kitchen doesn't have a lot of storage so I need to prioritize.  This one is much smaller than our last one and we got rid of a lot of things before we moved here a year ago.  We have collected a few new things and I really am having a hard time trying to figure out what to get rid of or where to put things.  I'm feeling crowded and overwhelmed with 'stuff'.  

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:42 AM on Apr. 30, 2012 in Home & Garden

• if you can't remember the last time you used it, get rid of it. if you're hanging on to it because someone special gave it to you, but you never use it, get rid of it. if you only use it on certain occasions, and those occasions haven't happened in the last 2yrs, get rid of it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:53 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• If you havent used it in more then 3 months chuck it
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 10:43 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• When I had a smaller kitchen, I took to storing kitchen stuff in the garage in a shelving unit. It was directly off the kitchen so it wasn't incredibly inconvenient.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:47 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Prioritize. Do you have any room to store them anywhere else?
    I feel you...crowded and overwhelmed with stuff. I purge somewhere regularly but we are quickly growing out of this house. Good luck to you
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I have a small butler's pantry that I use the bottom shelving in to store things that don't fit in the kitchen, but that's full now. I have a regular food pantry that I have some small appliances in (the stand mixer, one of our blenders, fondue pot, stuff like that), but no more room in there unless I get rid of the food. LOL. It drives me nuts because this house has about half or less of the cabinet space we had at the last house. It's a huge change. I didn't use all of the space before but I had room to spread things out. I just hate feeling cluttered.

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I have the things I use rarely in the hall closet by the kitchen. The doughnut maker, waffle iron, bake and fill pan, muffin tins and cake pans. appliances i use often I just keep out. Coffee pot, toaster oven, and electric skillet. And my kettle stays on the stoves back burner.
    NotTooWorried

Answer by NotTooWorried at 11:10 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• i have a small storage space at the top of the stairs to the attic, and i use that as secondary kitchen storage - my kitchenaid mixer, crock pots, things like that that i do not use often but can not get rid of. there is no where else in my house to keep those extras. the house we are looking at buying will be the same way - the kitchen is bigger, but has almost less storage, but the garage which is right off of it has an incredible built-in shelving system that i will utilize for the bigger thigns like that.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 11:15 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• My mother would store small appliances in the garage that she didn't use all the time. I keep a toaster oven, coffee maker and food processor on the counter because I use them all the time. My crock pot, blender, hand mixer and immersion blender are stored in a cupboard so I can get at them. My kitchen is also overflowing with spices that I use all the time in my cooking. I call it over-crowdedly organized. I don't buy or use appliances that take up a lot of storage room or wouldn't get used that much.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 11:24 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I added more cabinets but those filled quickly so I had hubby put in cabinets in the laundry room too- made a ton of new places to shove stuff :) but I do purge and trash stuff atleast 2x a year.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 11:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Donate unused items-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2012