Any ideas on how to keep critters out of the yard?

We have something trying to dig in the back yard. A few bare spots where the grass has been dug up but it doesn't look like whatever is digging is trying to dig holes. DH thinks it armadillos looking for grubs or something. We are in NE TX so Armadillos, skunk, bunnies, that kind of thing is what you would find around here.

Any ideas on how to keep these things out of the yard? I don't think it's the rabbits since they just graze on stuff, I think DH might be right. I have no idea how to keep armadillos out of the yard.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:46 AM on Apr. 30, 2012 in Home & Garden

• I'm honestly not sure. We have moles but they don't dig consistently; usually just in early spring. Wonder if armadillos are similar?

Are they digging around shrubs? If so, you can cut those back a bit.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 10:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• We had the same problem last Spring...and this was in our fenced in yard...very peculiar. Go to your local home improvement store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc). There is something you can buy to put on your yard that helps keep this from happening. I can't remember the name of the stuff, but it worked for us.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:51 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• MSU- recommends mothballs for armadillos.

https://www.msu.edu/~nixonjos/armadillo/problems.html
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:55 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I was going to say mothballs too.

If you think it may be after grubs. You can buy a fertilizer that gets rid of them.
    Mrs.Elgert

Answer by Mrs.Elgert at 11:13 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Try a Tomahawk Live Trap :)
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 11:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• If it is armadillos they are looking for grubs. Treat your yard for grubs and they will not be so attracted.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 12:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• It's in the back yard (fenced) and just different places around the yard in the grass. Not around shrubs, just out in the open. I am sure they are doing it at night since the only things I see alive back there are bunnies and birds. The kids play back there so I don't know if mothballs will work. I guess I might have to check into putting something else down or just living with it for the time being.

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I would also suggest the grub killer. We had a few skunks coming around at night, and they were tearing up the yard digging for grubbs. The little holes got so bad that the lawn became bumpy and difficult to mow. Once the grubs were gone, the skunks stopped coming around. GL!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• If whatever it is is feeding on grubs then treating for grubs will most likely resolve the issue. There are organic solutions for this that take longer to work but resolve the issue for several years and there are chemical quick fixes. If you have problem areas there are several non-toxic organic sprays that smell terrible to apply such as hot pepper wax. These dissolve quickly when it rains but prove to be pretty good short term solutions. Sounds disgusting but you can also try Coyote Urine. You are literally marking the spot of another animal which is a predator and when the space is plentiful smaller critters don't want to be anywhere near that stuff. (not my favorite resolve but it works)
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:03 PM on May. 1, 2012