Have you inherited or been given something that you don't know what to do with?

My mom gave me my grandmother's china (her mom). I always liked it but I really have no room for it. I have it in a box in the media room (too heavy for me to get in the attic). I honestly don't know what to do with it since some pieces had been broken and now the set is not complete. I think the most I could serve with full place settings would be 5 people.

It kills me because I know I am supposed to keep them for sentimental reasons, but I don't really feel sentimental about many things.  People, sure.  Things, not so much.  

What do you do when you have a situation like this and are you a sentimental person?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2012 in Home & Garden

• I have NO problem donating things like that. Like you, I'm not terribly sentimental about most things.

My mother has sent me about a million gold/orange afghans and I've donated most of them to the hospital or care center. She didn't make them; my grandmother did. But I only need one or two
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 10:52 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Maybe there's someone else in the family who would like to have it? I'm currently going through my mother's and mother-in-law's things, and that's what I'm doing. Anything I can't use, I'm offering first to other members of the family. Then I will get rid of it if nobody else wants it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:53 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• yes old cook books that are falling apart. I already have dozens then I was given these by my grandma (before she dies :( )
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:59 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I too would try to see if any other family members wanted it, and if not, donate or sell it.

You may consider just keeping a few pieces to display in your home.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Oh man. I have 2 households in one right now. My father in law just passed 2 months ago.

I would keep what was not broken.

Mrs.Elgert

Answer by Mrs.Elgert at 11:02 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• hahaah I was just put in this situation by my mom. she gave me some things that one of my sisters gave her. it is from one of my sisters that she doesn't talk to anymore or very often. I took it to be nice, but it's basically been put away. She specifically told me that she wanted it back and I couldn't give it away. so I am like, "why are you giving it to me?" in my head that is...lol the only things that I ever wanted I got. I have an old mantle clock that was my great x3 grandmother's. And I also have the nut cracker my dad used when he would shell pecans. lol he would sit at the table for a long time shelling them things. I basically have all that I wanted. I am sentimental to a point, but if it's not something that I have an attachment to, I don't want it. I have too much stuff I need to get rid of to take on someone else's things. haha

goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• what about displaying 1 setting on a shelf or something, using the broken pieces to decorate a frame or something...i am not that sentimental but i hang on to stuff that is handed down. i got a huge set of china that my great-great-grandfather brought with him from the netherlands, i have a couple settings displayed and the rest is in storage. check out pinterest for other ideas using any of it too - then if nothing else, you can split it all up and everyone can enjoy a small piece of your grandma's history.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 11:08 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I inherited my grandmother's engagement ring because I was the first grandchild. It's sitting in the vault at the bank. I have my own engagement ring. I may give it to my son when he is ready to propose, so it stays in the family.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 11:08 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• No pictures most of it was hand written and I cant read my great grandmas hand wrtting and lots of it is fadded. I would like to figure out how to perserve it though
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• LostSoul88, are they pretty cookbooks that seem to be falling apart? if they have lots of color on them and they are not really usable you can always take the cover off and frame it in a simple frame for wall decor. I have seen some framed cookbook covers that are really cool and look great in the kitchen.

I think finding another family member that might want them is a good idea. My brother and sister have not expressed interest, but I guess I haven't really asked them either. I also inherited some dishes from my paternal grandmother and they arrived mostly broken. there were only a few pieces and I didn't want to keep them but my brother really wanted them (he bought grandparent's old house from the estate). I gladly turned them over to him. Maybe he would like something from our other Grandma. Thanks!

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Apr. 30, 2012