If you lived during the civil war times...

Do you think you would be owning slaves or be the rebels and helping slaves escape?

I would get my ass shot, I would be the one organzing the under ground railroad lol.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 30, 2012 in Just for Fun

• Really hard question to answer. Am I living back then, knowing what I know now? Or am I living back then born and raised in the traditional south and only know of their way of thinking? I mean I would love to think I'd be helping free slaves but it's not really anything you can say for sure. My ancestors are from the South during the Civil War but they weren't slave owners because they were poor farmers lol. I've also studied a lot of Black American History and really the fight to end slavery had nothing to do with "helping the slaves". It was much more of a political issue.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Pretty much all families that owned land in the North and were there long enough owned slaves at some point. It's a romanticized idea that everyone North of the line hated slavery and everyone South loved it - the reality is most were completely indifferent to it (excluding, obviously, those who were victim of it). I doubt I'd have a position on it one way or the other.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• If I was the person I am today back then, I would purchase slaves to free them, and if they wanted to stay and help at the farm, they would get wages.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Hopefully I would be neighbors or friends with hopeandglory and we would be doing the same thing.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• If I look at my family's history, I would say underground RR Though n really to much in Nebraska. Maybe a ittle and helping to settle or move them onward and hide as necessary.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:52 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• my family wasnt in the US during the Civil War so its really hard to know what i would be doing (they came over during the late 1800s). seeing as when they did come over they were poor immigrant farmers, i wouldnt have owned slaves but i doubt i would have had time to help freed/escaped slaves other than a passing meal or so.

id like to think id help run the Underground Railroad, but if i lived in those times i wouldnt be the person i am today. and having studied the Civil War time period (its my favorite) most ppl (even in the North) were not interested in helping African-Americans, just ending the institution of slavery.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

Answer by hopeandglory53

^^I'd be right there with you, doing the same thing.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I can't see my family owning slaves as my ancestors were Yankees and some fought for the Union. As for freeing the slaves or being part of the underground railroad, I suppose that would depend on my level of knowledge of all of that happening at the time and my location in proximity of all that was happening.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:12 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Well I think you were born into those kinds of households. But some did rebel like Lucretia Mott - she was a hell raiser. I like to think I would have been too but who knows......
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2012