If you lived during the times before women had many rights....

How do you think you would be acting? Act like the humble house wife and do as you were told?

If I was the way I am now back  then, I would have the men chasing me with pitch forks. I have a mouth on me and don't take crap from anyone.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 30, 2012 in Just for Fun

• People have always been people. Relationships have always been different. Women may not have had the public persona they have today, but many were very strong influences in regard to public and political life.  Women worked within the confines of convention, to accomplish and push those barriers farther and farther each generation.  I am quite positive there have been powerful and influential women throughout the history of this country and the world. 

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:01 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• With the personality I have now ... I'd have been burned at the stake as a heretic.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:58 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• i know this is a crappy answer, but if i wasnt raised in our current time period i wouldnt be the person i am now.

now if i was transported from here to that era i would work quietly behind the lines. i dont ruffle feathers, but i dont compromise who i am either. id be the person writing the female empowerment speeches but not delivering them b/c id be living the traditionalist life at home.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:04 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• My grandmothers both worked outside the home, despite being married, without needing WWII as a reason. The more I've researched it, the stereotype of the submissive wife at home making dinner is very much a stereotype. Despite women not having as many legal rights, they were always working, always finding ways to work around the law to still be in control as much as possible. Part of the reason for the movement was the idea that women were already doing the things they were asking to do - they couldn't vote, but they'd work on their husband to vote the way they wanted, they couldn't own things outright, but they were still doing all the work behind them. I have no doubt I would be similar to them, assuming I was raised by the same women they were.

There were women who fit that stereotype - they even championed their own lack of rights, but they weren't the vast majority.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Hmm, that one I'm not sure about. Before I met my husband, I was that humble girl who would have done just about anything...

Now, my husband tells me to go make him a sammich, I tell him to get off his lazy ass and go do it himself, LOL.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• We wouldn't know what we didn't know. We would have been raised being submissive and doing what we were told. We would have conformed to the norm of that time.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I probably would have been quiet and docile. Kept to society's expectations. Would have drawn the line at any kind of abuse - being able to hit me with a stick no thicker than my husband's thumb wouldn't have gone over very well. Better to be accepted than ostracized.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• You would have to pick an actual time period for me to answer this question with ay kind of truth.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:49 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

• My mother was born in 1922. I can't imagine her being too submissive to anyone but she did keep her "unsubmissiveness" in the home, I believe. My father adored her to his dying breathe.

Otherwise, I completely agree with Meooma. There has to be a seed of rebellion planted before you see a lot of people pushing societal boundaries
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 11:55 AM on Apr. 30, 2012

>>>
    The norm of the time was public submission, but women were not passive, not anymore than today. Some women are passive and submissive even today. Personalities don't change, manners and outer appearances were different. There were strong, influential women even then, they just didn't get the credit
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2012