is their a certain age by when they should leave the sippy cup.... like for a bottle its one what about the sippy?

MommaBear1129

Asked by MommaBear1129 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think sippy cup usage really depends on each child's development. Personally, I use sippy cups to avoid huge messes LOL my son is almost 3. he does get a real cup at meal times when we are sitting at the table, but to walk around with, nope! it's got a spill proof lid :o)
    Anonymous

• lol.. yeah i think thats why we all love them...
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I think it depends on the child. My son just recently started using cups without lids or straws and he's 4.5. If we go somewhere i still put a lid on it. The sippy cup isn't dangerous like the bottle so it just depends on if you really want to clean up the mess.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I think it all depends on how soon you want spills all over. Kids of all ages can be careless and knock over a cup while playing.
    Personally, I see no problem with a lidded cup of some type for years except at the table. At the table, I let my daughter have an open cup.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• I agree that it depends on development. My older 3 kids used them forever and I never really thought about it. My oldest was probably 5 1/2 when she stopped using them most of the time and my son was about 5, too. That was only because their younger sister had to have them. We tried letting the older two have regular cups but she would take them and spill them so everyone had sippies. She was like 4 when she finally got coordinated enough to handle a small cup of water.

On the other hand my youngest daughter hasn't used a sippy since the summer. She was 2 in April and I think I tossed all the sippy cups in July or August. She was only using them once in awhile or in the car but then started drinking from bottles in the car so we didn't need them. She even knows how to fill her cup up from the fridge dispenser (she's almost 3 now).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:19 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• i do the same thing as the first poster..my girls are 2 1/2 and 3 1/2..but i think if i didnt have my 2 yr old around, my 3 yr old wouldnt have sippys at all.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:58 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• It does depend on the child, but prolonged use of a sippy cup can affect ("can" not "does") oral motor development. Sippies are better than the bottle, a straw cup is better than a sippy and well...the final goal we all have...a regular cup! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:14 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• My children HAVE cups with lids, but primarily use open cups now... (4 & 7)... they are given small open cups starting at about one and a half to two. They are taught to keep them in the kitchen and put them on the table or counter. They DON'T get to carry them around... spills happen... oh well. My baby is 11 months and she was slow to get on the sippy. She wouldn't suck hard enough so I had to take out the stopper for a month and just let her get messy. However, she's been able to drink from an open cup (with help) since she was about 5 months old.
    KrissyKC

Answer by KrissyKC at 9:44 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Honestly, if you are going to throw the bottle away when the kid turns 1 you should do the same with the sippy because sippys and bottles are the same exact thing except one looks more grown up. That being said, my son just recently voluntarily gave up the bottle at 2.5 years and still uses a sippy around the house because I don't want spills.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2009