Would you worry about buying a foreclosed home in your town?

Ive seen a few movies in which previous owners have come back and harrassed the new ones. Im honestly nervous thinking the people tossed out will come back and try to burn it down.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I've never heard of that. My parents had to foreclose on a home and they would never do anything like that. It's not something I would be afraid of at all. Even it were happening occassionally wouldn't fear it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I've never heard of that either. I wouldn't worry about it much.
    jeana

Answer by jeana at 11:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Just remember, movies are just movies not the reality in life. Foreclosures are an affordable way to purchase a home at a good price. Several years ago when my now ex-husband was injured on the job and unable to work we had to file bankruptcy. Less than a year later we walked away from the house when we moved for him to go to school. We walked away since it was on the BK and we couldn't wait for it to sell. I'm back in the general area and I admit I drove by once or twice. Never stopped, never thought ill of the new owners except the fact she painted my burgundy shutters black (on a light blue house, ick) =)
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:40 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• No, but I wouldn't sign on the dotted line until I got a home inspection on it.
    Vballchick

Answer by Vballchick at 2:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Well you shouldnt sign on ANY home til you get an inspection. Brand spankin' new or 200 years old! :) People who do that end up with mold, termites, lower values than they thought...and the nightmare begins!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2009

• The trend around here is to gut the house - punch holes in walls and then dump food down in the holes to rot, leave them open for people to scavenge the copper, break all the cabinets and fixtures - that alone would keep me away, but I've never heard of anyone going back to harass the new owners.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i bought a foreclosed home a few years ago... i ended up buying the home on the remaining balance...119K it was so wonderful... i got the home inspected, but that was because of the bank deal... i had no worries, they paid for it, they also paid for the appraisal... if they were going to do any damage to their former home, they would do it long before its sold... besides, talk to the police and they can give you a criminal printout of and crimes in the past 5 years, no matter how minor, especially the vandalismpart... also, if something happens, then you might know who did it..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:11 AM on Jan. 28, 2009