OH NO!

I AM VERY CONFUSED!! MY SON LAST YEAR GOT KICKED OUT OF SCHOOL BECAUSE OF POOR ATTENDENCE. HE DIDNT HAVE THE BEST GRADES SO HE WAS SENT TO A SCHOOL THAT TAUGHT "SLOWER". I AM A SINGLE MOTHER AND ONLY HAVE 1 CAR. HE COULDNT GET TO THE "SLOWER" SCHOOL SO HE ENDED UP DROPPING OUT. HE IS NOT 17 YEARS OLD AND DOESNT HAVE ALL OF HIS CREDITS TO GRADUATE.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?
WHO SHOULD I CALL?
HELPPPPPPP MOMS!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• You couldn't take him to school everyday? He couldn't ride the bus? You couldn't have arranged for a family friend or relative to drop him off there in the morning?

I don't mean to be rude, only honest. It is your responsibility as a parent to be sure your child is going to school. There really can't be any excuses.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I MESSED UP :"(
    I WAS GOING THROUGH A BIGGG DIVORCE!!!
    Anonymous

• Help him get his GED, they sell books he can study for the test. I have a GED and its just as good as a regular diploma. Don't beat yourself up its not the end of the world for you guys. Their are always options, or he can go to jobcorp and get trained for a special skill. Good look hon!
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 11:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i would suggest jobcorp, like 1countrygal did. because my younger sister is in that, and she's only been their about a month and she has a different prespective on life now! so i say that is the best option for anyone that has a clean record, needs their diploma, and can get a career out of it!! Well hope that helped!

Good luck!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 12:01 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• At 17 it is not only your responsibility to get him to school, but it his to make sure that he gets there. If he can't graduate it is also his fault. You can't make them go to school at that age. It is nice to know that you recognize that you screwed up. I would help him get his GED if he wants to. You can't force him to do that either. Just offer the best solutions that you can come up with and see what he wants to do with his life.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Why did your son have such poor attendance that he was kicked out? And what public school kicks a kid out for poor attendance? Before he was sent to the special school, what interventions, accomodations and/or supports were offered first? Was any testing or evaluations done? Since it was the school district that changed his placement, they would be responsible for providing transportation, not you, unless there is more to this story? I'm sorry, but being in the midst of a divorce, no matter how hostile, is no excuse for neglecting a child's education. In order for your child to have failed this badly, something wasn't right for a long time. Not saying it is all your fault, the school has some responsibility in this too, but it is primarily your responsibility to advocate for your child & get him the help he needs to succeed. If you did try "everything" and your child still fails, that's different, but if nothing was done.....
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:41 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• help him get his ged.. i kno here you can drop out at 16..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• TAKE HIM TO GET HIS GED MOST COMMUNITY COLLAGES OFFER THIS FOR FREE

tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 6:55 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Call the school and see what options are still available for your son.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:44 AM on Jan. 27, 2009

• Use online homeschooling...it is obvious you have internet. Public school is not the only option.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:10 AM on Jan. 27, 2009