My son like to talk back I'll tell him to stop and he will tell me to stop and laugh any way to stop the talking back?

he said shut up, no ,butt head, bad words

mommylilboy0889

Asked by mommylilboy0889 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Where is he learning those words?
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 3:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• My dd does this.

She is much better then a month ago.

We had to stop her play dates with the girl down the road.
    Mrs.Elgert

Answer by Mrs.Elgert at 3:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• school I work at the daycare he go to the kids say bad words and talking back and he started picking it
    mommylilboy0889

Comment by mommylilboy0889 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• My DS is doing this too, I keeo sending him to his room
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• we do a drop of lemon juice on our finger and rub it on LO's tongue, it is nto enough to cause harm to her teeth, we discussed with dentist first.
    it is a wonder worker,
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 3:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I take things away. Ive taken away all toys for the day. NO tv or movies for the day. No favorite snacks for the day. No juice for the day. It may seem extreme for a little kid but sometimes you have to do extreme things to get extreme results. Being sent to the room is something a kid could talk themselves into getting used to especially if its for a small period of time. Like o well im in my room, but i have toys in here.
    CaLiMaMom

Answer by CaLiMaMom at 3:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• You need to put you'r foot down and let him know its not acceptable to act that way and try putting him in time out..
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Discipline him for it. Personally I don't discipline DD for saying stop because she is 18 months and it is one of the words she knows and she likes to say it. I would do something about shut up or butt head though.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 4:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Paying attention & getting upset tends to reinforce the words as "powerful." My thought is he is a young child. He is around children who have used these words. He doesn't understand (fully) the meaning of them & they don't mean the same to him as they do to you. (To him, they are what you say when you are mad, frustrated, annoyed, feeling cranky because Mom is upset with you....)
    The more you can connect with him, strengthen your relationship & the good feelings that come from it, the more you will be able to engage his natural cooperation. With that in mind, I would have the goal at these times to CONNECT. It's not what you want, but it's happening, so see it in the best light. (Your alternative is to enter into the power struggle you've been having.) Reflect back to him the INTENT or the emotion expressed, rather than reacting to the expression or the WAY he communicates.
    "You didn't like that," or "You don't want me to say
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:19 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• that," or "You're not happy with mama."
    Focus on "hearing" him & on showing it by saying it back to him. When you do this, you are doing two things.
    1) You're giving him acceptance (through hearing him accurately) rather than triggering his resistance by responding negatively to his words without "hearing" the feelings they express
    2) You're modeling what you DO want from him.
    Basically, when he hears things (from you) he doesn't like, you'd like him to express his feelings "appropriately." So if you do this when you hear things from him that YOU don't like, it is more positive (modeling) than reacting would be.
    Hold the limit but allow his feelings!

Also-
    Laughter can express true playfulness (he doesn't attach the same emotion & meaning to the issue that you do, such as "disrespectful" or "back talk") but it also can express fear/nervousness. Laughter is a way to offload stressful feelings. Punishment adds even more stress.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2012