Free speech or inciting violence?

Ohio DJ Says Man's Gay Daughter Should Be Raped

GLAAD wants this DJ suspended.

WMMS Dominic Dieter X390 (GRAB) | ADVOCATE.COM
Dominic Dieter

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation is on the offensive after a Cleveland morning DJ made a horrifying comment that suggested a man allow his gay daughter to be raped. 

The comment was made by Dominic Dieter, a DJ at Cleveland rock station WMMS. Speaking during the Rover's Morning Gloryshow, Dieter was discussing a man who wrote the radio station about his gay daughter. 

"You should get one of your friends to screw your daughter straight," Dieter said, according to viewers.

GLAAD wants Dieter suspended. Aaron McQuade, GLAAD's director of news and field media, released the following statement: "It was appalling and dangerous for this show to tell a father that he should have one of his friends rape his daughter. That's essentially how Dieter responded to this listener, and this is no laughing matter in a world where people are too often the victims of violence and sexual assault based on their actual or perceived sexual orientation. And Dieter gave this vile advice to everyone who was listening, including educators, parents and children — sending the message that it's okay to physically or sexually abuse people who are perceived to be gay."

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh my God that man should be fired. That is horrible. I think this whole idea of "free speech" is taken to far by some people it does not and should not cover everything.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Free speech but a really disgusting thing to say.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I agree, fire his ass!
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• That would be inciting me to come and bash his fucking skull in. If he said that about my daughter, he would be DEAD.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 3:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Yup, please fire him.
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 3:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Um both really. It is free speech, but it's totally ignorant of him to say such a thing.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• He should be terminated immediately.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 3:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Free speech. Hopefully no one takes parenting advice from a dj.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• Free dumbass speech...as for inciting violence, apparently it could. (^FFA)..however, IMO, blaming someone else's ignorance statement to justify another's reactive behavior is just as ignorant.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2012

• I think it could go both ways. Just depends on what side of the courtroom you're sitting on.

HOWEVER, It is completely disgusting and obscene to me that this man would say something of that nature over the radio. I believe that is an abuse of his position and that he should be fired.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 4:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2012